COFF issue with legit code from the book

I am sorry it will be long one but I have tried a lot and I stuck(COFF) here.

//first build error:
1>------ Build started: Project: box_demo, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> Creating library C:\Users\rubik\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\box_demo\Debug\box_demo.lib and object C:\Users\rubik\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\box_demo\Debug\box_demo.exp
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

//second: This is demo program from "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct 11" by Frank D. Luna. -> www.d3dcoder.net -> "Box" demo of Chapter 6.

//third: I believe I have fallowed all instructions (obviously not) plus I have used web advice to meet book requirements.
Meaning: I have reinstalled(uninstall everything and install in fallowing order):
a)firstly DXSDK June 2010;
b)secondly VS2010 (express though);
c)thirdly I have done a) and b) again in Windows7 environment (cause I failed to modify VC++ Directories for Windows8/VS2012 -> windows sdk)

What I have achieved?
1.Compiler (Win7) can see DXDSK libraries (XNA math in particular).
2.Compiler (Win8) build the program, but did not used DXDSK and prompt me to use windows 8.1 dsk.
3.COFF in Win7 after useful typo error : I have misspell D3DCompiler.lib (I put DXDCompiler.lib). Why I believe it was useful error? Cause I know that compiler is linking to this libraries.

Question:
What can possibly not link and why?

I can provide full code or it can be downloaded from the book side.

Install Visual Studio 2010 SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23691

This should correct your problem.

If you do a quick search it will explain why: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22LNK1123%3A+failure+during+conversion+to+COFF%22

I have had to uninstall and reinstall visual studio a couple of times because of this problem. But you can also just disable incremental linking. Right click on your project name and do the following: properties->linker->general and then just change yes to no.
Thanks for that. SP1 did help. Yet I have new issue and it seams it is funny one, but no clue how to fix it. (I did search, but after 12hours of trying to build this program I may be blind and stupid)

//Creating library C:\Users\rubik\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Box3D\Debug\Box3D.lib and object C:\Users\rubik\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Box3D\Debug\Box3D.exp
1>Effects11d.lib(d3dx11dbg.obj) : warning LNK4204: 'C:\Users\rubik\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Box3D\Debug\vc100.pdb' is missing debugging information for referencing module; linking object as if no debug info // and so on through all the libraries

Maybe I just need the rest...

They are warnings just to inform you that the debugging information is not included with the direct3d dll's and hence you wouldn't be able to step its code.

Why would you want to debug step them anyway, that's Microsoft's job ;-)

Just as an example to extend on my last post, here is some build information from a hangman program I wrote for another member on these forums.

'Hangman.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Hangman.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Hangman.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Hangman.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Hangman.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr120d.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Standard warnings just telling me there is no debugging information for those dll's referenced by my application and therefore I couldn't debug step them.

More info here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15937707/error-message-cannot-find-or-open-the-pdb-file

@ Drrockso : I agree turning off incremental linking will have removed the error but its always best to go down the route of service packs to install all the latest security and bug fixes.

Thx for that. It is great link BTW. I will search for bug fixes and then I will just try to release it. If it will not work I will just give up for now and wait until I will write something by myself. I should really go back to my maths study rather than fighting with the system :)

I have to have incremental linking "on" cause mr.Luna used one Common directory with reusable framework code that all the demos can share. "Off" result with one big warning.

Last edited on
Your welcome
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.