why this code is not working?

Hi guys,
I was trying to write a guessing game program and encountered with an error that i am unable to resolve.
The code below is what i wrote for the game.But don't know why this code is not working at all.Please tell me where a went wrong.I am using visual studio express 2010 and orwell dev c++ with mingw 32

// Guessing_game.cpp:rs0
// Description:Allows a player to guess a secret number and shows the result.
#include<iostream>
#include<cstdlib>
#include<time.h>
using namespace std;

int main(){

int secret_num; //The range is 1 to 10.
	int guess_num=0;
	srand(time(NULL));
	secret_num=(rand()%10) + 1;
	do{
		cout << "Enter your guess:";
		cin >> guess_num;
		if(!(cin>> guess_num)){
			cout << "You entered a non-numeric character.Try again." << endl;
			cin.clear();
			cin.ignore(10000,'\n');
			continue;
		}
		else {
		if(secret_num > guess_num)
			cout << "The entered number is too low from the secret number." << endl;
		else if(secret_num < guess_num)
			cout << "The entered number is too high from the secret number." << endl;
		}
	}while(secret_num != guess_num);
	cout << "The secret number is :" << secret_num << endl;
	return 0;
}
Last edited on
there is an error in the line 18. it should be "if(!guess_num)"
@wesp its not an error as i have checked it and importantly i learned it from google's c++ educational material.You can check it too on your ide.But just after that if statement nothing is working.And i am completely clueless what went wrong.....
remove line 16

edit: also can you please post the error you are getting
Last edited on
@arbitergoten the error is the program is asking me to enter my guess.and once i enter the number nothing happening at all.no more commands no exiting of function, nothing else.The cursor just keeps on blinking till i shut down the command prompt manually
And if i remove line 16 how can i get the input?
Hi all

if you remove line 16 you will get input by line 17, in fact you will get input two times with this code!
EDIT: I compile your code after make the changes(changes that arbitergoten said) and it now work correctly.

Have Nice life
Last edited on
Line 17 you should be checking the variable guess_num, but you are running cin again.
		cout << "Enter your guess:";
		cin >> guess_num;
		if (!guess_num){

// ..........
amirtork is right.

remove line 16. You get the input on line 17 plus the validity check.
thank you all.actually all of you are right and i am wrong.And yes, after removing that line,my code is working perfectly.And can anyone please explain what logic i missed,because compiler did not showed any syntax error.

And sorry to @wesp who said me where i went wrong in one go.But i did not tried it...
And can anyone please explain what logic i missed,because compiler did not showed any syntax error.
Using cin >> guess_num twice means that the user has to enter the value for guess_num twice.

if (!guess_num) doesn't make sense because it's true when guess_num is 0. why shouldn't the user enter 0?
thank you @coder777.Now i understand where my logic went wrong.
So do you suggest not to write if(!guess_num)?should i always use cin instead?

What coder777 is saying is the if (!guess_num) or if(!(cin>> guess_num) would fail if the value entered is 0.

For example, a boolean variable can be True or False, but in terms of how it is stored in memory it is 0 (False) or 1 (True), so when you are doing your IF statements and the user enters 0, the program will assume that its False.

To extend on that, although a boolean 1 is true, we can use the same check to see if we are a value over 0, which is what your IF statements are doing.

if(  // has the user entered a value higher than zero  ){

Hope that helps you understand whats going on.
Last edited on
What I'm trying to say is that if (!guess_num) is completely different from if(!(cin>> guess_num)

if (!guess_num) can be written as if (guess_num == 0)

if(!(cin>> guess_num) can be written as cin>> guess_num; if(!cin.good())
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.