sfml game sprites

So when I make a game with sfml, I have my sprite sheets in the .png format. But this kind of bothers me since, once my game is done, I have these exposed sprite sheets that anyone could look at and muck with.

How would I go about getting the sprites embeded into the code to hide the .png files?
You could rename the files with another file extension (or remove the file extension all together). That would prevent viewing them by accident and most non-technical persons wouldn't know how to open them.
I think it's pretty normal for sprites and models to just be left exposed like that. If the user messes with them, the worst that'll happen is they mess up their game. This also leaves it open if people feel like modding.
You are right Peter, I would not have thought of that trick. Thanks and as for Biscuit if that is the normal practice then I don't have to feel like I am doing it wrong. I play other games and never saw their sprite files just out, but there are other file types present so now I am thinking they just do Peter's trick. I like it. Thanks.
It's not wrong at all. Doing a simple search on "should I hide my games resource files" will give you lots of results. To sum it up, it's entirely normal. Some AAA titles will have them "hidden", but mainly because they store them in custom formats for performance reasons, not to actually try to hide the resources.

Think about it, if we go with the idea you're thinking of of changing the extension or dropping it entirely, who are you really stopping from opening up these resource files? A non-sophisticated user will just play the game and not care about even opening up the directory of your game. A sophisticated user who might actually open up the game directory will see these files with random extensions or no extensions, and look into it and very quickly figure out they are just png files. So, you have stopped nobody AND made it just that much harder for a modding community to do any work. So basically you've obfuscated your resources for zero benefit.
And no now we have the flip side to that coin... hmmm, a completely valid point. I suppose it all doesn't really matter then, mostly I thought I wanted to do things the way the pros would, you know piss with the big boys...
Thanks for the links.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.