Create a synth with C++ ?

Hi, I'm an Italian student and I love both Music and Programming.
I'd like to create my own virtual synth (a keyboard) but I don't know how to start this project.
I studied Pascal and VBA, and for me theese languages has been very easy, so i started to learn also C++.
Is there anybody who can help me?
Is possible to create an instrument with only Dev C++?

sorry for my english
It is definitely possible. You'll need some sound files for the various notes, and I guess it will be graphical, so you will need some external libraries.

Aceix.
And where can i get theese libraries?
Say you want to create a 2D synthesizer, I recommend SFML: www.sfml-dev.org

Aceix.
If you're just starting out with C++, this is a very ambitious project if the "synth" is anything as complex as I imagine it is.
You'll probably be better off learning the basics of the language, and work your way to the advanced topics (of which you'll invariably need knowledge to write a soft-synth). You can keep things interesting by working on audio-related projects, like a simple sample player (which helps you understand things like correctly parsing meta data and loading simple wave/audio files), and some sort of white noise generator (actual synthesis of something, possibly streaming).
Don't know anything about the quality of this book but it looks like a good choice for learning what you need.
http://basicsynth.com/index.php?page=default&WEBMGR=...3bf4c0509ba3e1b29dc79b64a

If nothing else there's a link to the full source code of the BasicSynth he codes in the book. The book is $23 and has 4 5-star reviews on Amazon so it might be worth the money.

P.S.: I definitely agree that this project might be frustrating to a less than intermediate C++ programmer.
Thanks for all your answer.
If this is actually a very hard project what kind of exercise could help?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.