Develop C++ program for Linux on Win7.

I need to develop a program targeted for Linux (Debial 2.2).
I'm using a computer with Windows 7 (64).
I'm lost a bit in a variety of information found... So, if somebody could answer a few questions (perhaps, rather naive for an expert) I'd appreciate it a lot:
Is it possible to develop on the Windows computer for Linux target without need to reinstall the OS?
What would be the most suitable environment and toolset for C++ development in that case (I was told Qt would be the best choice)?
In order to use Qt on Windows computer, do I need to install KDE?
Can I use KDE for Windows (for Linux target) or should it be in Cygwin?
If some or all of my questions sound absurd, could somebody give me a hint, where to search?
Thanx
Oh man, I hope you're not doing this for a living.

Everything you asked us possible. I'd suggest using Mingo with a cross platform id like Code blocks or Eclipse. You can also compile for Windows under Linux. You do not need KDE for developing a QT app, that defeats the purpose of having such a tools, it works under every major platform stack.
You can use a virtual machines like virtual box or vmware.

This way you can test several linux distributions
Hey, Krisando, is it because I'm a such newbie? It won't last forever. Thanks for sympathy kindly, though.
Do I understand you correctly:
1. Install MingW (MinGW-w64, I guess)
2. Install Codeblocks and Qt
And I'm all set, right? This way I will have on Windows 7 computer suitable environment for developing C++ program targeted for Linux.
What about Qt Creator? I read it can do everything by itself.
Thanks, coder777, it sound interesting. From what I understand virtualbox would be the preference if I'm looking for a free product (vmware server is discontinued)?
Apology for dumb question, but do I simply use tools, suggested by Krisando with virtualbox to test the program in the target environment, then I can clone it and transfer?
you don't need vmware server, instead it's vmware player. Use what you like better.

The tools Krisando suggested can be used in both environment. You need a way how to share the files across the platforms.

then I can clone it and transfer?
What do you want to clone?

What about Qt Creator?
It's certainly not wrong to use it.

By the way code::blocks comes with another gui library, wxwidgets:
http://www.wxwidgets.org/

you might want to check out
then I can clone it and transfer?
What do you want to clone?

I must have misunderstood the virtualbox virtual machine cloning capabilities. I guess when the virtual machine gets cloned it can be transferred only onto a newly created virtual machine on different host. For some reason I thought I could simply transfer it directly to the target.
What about Qt Creator?
It's certainly not wrong to use it.

Do I still need MinGW and Codeblocks in that case?
virtual machines are files like any other. You can copy and duplicate and whatever else you can do with files. You may have more than one the same computer. I'm still not sure what you mean when you say 'clone'

Qt Creator and Codeblocks both use Mingw:

http://qt-project.org/wiki/MinGW

And no, you don't need Codeblocks when you use qt creator.
When I say 'clone' I mean this: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_clone_overview.html
Decided on vmware player, Qt creator, Mingw. Reading discussions and comparisons takes a lot of time and doesn't help without personal experience.
Thank you, gentlemen, for answering my primitive questions!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.