Having trouble installing SDL

No matter how much I try, I can't install SDL for Visual Studio Microsoft C++ Express. Can someone please help out.
You need to give much more information then this for us to be able to help. Be as detailed as possible with what problems you ran into and it will help us help you figure out the problem you are having.

1. You say you can't install SDL, but what exactly is going wrong?
2. What step in the installation isn't going right? Is it linking SDL to a project, or building SDL from the source?
3. If you are getting any errors what exactly as they are shown on the screen are they (If they are to long post it in a pastebin and link to it).
4. What version of Visual Studio are you using?

If you could answer those questions we might be able to help you figure out what is going wrong.
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/143210/#msg755653

Oops sorry forgot to tell you this.

1. I tried following lazyfoo's installation and when I try to build it shows up an error.
2. I'm pretty sure its linking and building from the source.
3. The errors just say C:/Desktop/C++/SDL/include is not a recoginisible batch command, executable.
4. 2010
Last edited on
Bump. Sorry but I really want to start on SDL
He is probably having trouble setting up the lib folder and stuff like that...which I had the same problems...
I think so novellof
it shows up an error
You were asked what exactly is going wrong. "It shows an error" isn't what one would call "exact".
No I said the error says
The errors just say C:/Desktop/C++/SDL/include is not a recoginisible batch command, executable.
Guys he can't install the library its not that difficult to answer....

He needs to know where to drop the include folder the lib folder...set up the additional dependancies......

Thats all he needs...to be able to include the SDL into the project......
The errors just say C:/Desktop/C++/SDL/include is not a recoginisible batch command, executable.
Sounds like you added the path as a pre- or post-build event.
Sorry, went away for a couple of days, so from what I read I need to know how to be able to include the SDL into the project.
Second bump.
In Project->Properties->Configuration->VC++ Directories
Add a path under Include Directories to the SDL Include\ folder.
Add a path under Library Directories to the SDL LIB\x64\ or LIB\x86\ folder.

In Project->Properties->Linker->Command Line
Add sdl.lib under Additional Options
-or-
Add #pragma comment(lib, "sdl.lib") in your source
Hey ahcfan, sorry I haven't replied in a long time. I took a break from coding. Your steps were very easy, but it has an error saying

c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'sdl.lib': No such file or directory

PS: Sorry for the big bump everyone.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.