using pointer to dynamically allocate a 2D array

Hi, i am trying to dynamically allocate a 2D array using pointer or a double pointer. I know how to use pointer to a pointer to access to a 2D array, but so far i only know how to use pointer to dynamically allocate 1D array like this
int *p = new int[10];
but i have no idea how to do it on a 2D array, i just know i have to use a double pointer like this **p, but i don't know what to do on the right-hand side. On top of that, this is a portion of an assignment where i am required to use only pointer arithmetic and not the square bracket []. Can anyone please help me with this?
A pointer has two parts:
1. It is a pointer.
2. The type it points to.

Lets look at your int *p = new int[10];
1. The p is a pointer.
2.The pointed to type is int
What about the right side?
The new returns an address of type int object. A pointer stores an address, so the p gets what it wants.

The new[] allocates memory not for just one int, but for many. The p, however, does not know whether it has an address of statically or dynamically allocated memory (or invalid address) nor whether consecutive memory location contain objects of same type. The type information within p does affect how many bytes is added to the address, when you write p+7.

Lets rewrite a more generic example: T * p = new T [n];

You had T=int, n=10. Change the T into int *.

Now we have: int * * p = new int * [n];
The p is a pointer to a pointer to int, but since we did allocate an array, the p is effectively a pointer to an array of pointers.

The *p (aka *(p+0)) is now a pointer to int. Lets allocate an array of int and store its address in *p
int* *p = new int* [rows];
*p = new int [rows*cols];

delete [] *p;
delete [] p;

Only two issues remain:

1. The *(p+0) does give a pointer to the first element of the array, but the *(p+k) have to be initialized to have pointers to the beginning elements of the other rows. That I leave to you. Simple pointer math.

2. All exit routes must do the deallocation properly. That is not trivial and is the main reason why code should avoid plain new&delete. One can use smart pointers, STL containers, or custom "2D array" types that encapsulate the memory management. You, however, probably have to play with raw pointers for educational purposes.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.