How to create basic graphics in c++?

So I am fairly new to c++ and have got a grip of the basics of the language, enough to make some pretty simple number guessing games and interactive text adventure things, however, I am trying to now go into the realm of making a 2d graphics window, and simply making a character move about on the screen. Can anyone possibly explain the real fundamental basics I'll need to know, or does anyone have a link to ay videos which they found helpful when learning?
I seriously know nothing about making graphics yet, so please be patient!
try to use sfml, i heard it's pretty easy to use

http://www.sfml-dev.org/
I currently use codeblocks for c++. Is this a separate program, or something I will need to install and place into codeblocks?
SFML is a library that you link to in your project settings. There is a tutorial on the sfml website of how to set it up with Code::Blocks. Once you've done that, you include the appropriate module with a #include statement and then you can use all its functionality which is stored in the sf:: namespace. The tutorials are extensive and the API documentation even more so. Also, just a btw, but it is often said (especially on the SFML forums) that most video tutorials are a lot worse than written ones, internet or book, as often or not the tutor doesn't know what they're doing and there are a lot of bad habits taught in video tutorials.
aaannd its broken.
just followed the tutorial step by step, every-time I try to build & run it says "It seems the project has not been built yet. Would you like to build it now?"
Okay..now its no longer coming up with that error, but instead saying undefined reference to sf::String::String(char const*, std::locale const&)
Undefined reference almost always means you've linked it wrong. The most common reasons for this are: downloading the wrong version of SFML (it must exactly match your compiler version), if linking statically, you must define SFML_STATIC, else you have to put the right dlls in the folder. You must correctly specify suffixes when linking (-s and/or -d) as in the tutorials and linking order does matter. Finally, if linking statically, you need to link to the dependencies.
Shadowmouse, you wouldnt mind taking a look at this thread for me would you, this is the problem I'm having now, hoping you can help!!
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/171676/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.