Debug assertion failed: Vectors iterator incompatible

I'm using VS2013 to work on this program. I'm not using OOP (I'm not coding any classes) so my objects are just structs.
There's a struct holding data about a book (name, genre and isbn of a book):

struct t_libro
{
	string nombre;
	string genero;
	long isbn;
};

I read the necessary info from keyboard and store it in a text file. So far so good, that works.
Then I want to allow the user to delete a book from the file. So I first load all the file contents into a vector<libro> (which I've called "coleccion_libros"), and this also works ok.
I ask the user which book to delete, and allow them to search by name ("nombre_buscado"). I do the required changes (i.e.: delete a book) in the vector, which I finally serialize again into the text file, replacing the previous file contents.

auto iterador = coleccion_libros.begin();
while (iterador != coleccion_libros.end())  
		if (iterador->nombre == nombre_buscado)  //nombre_buscado holds the book name user is searching for
		{
			eliminar_libro(iterador, coleccion_libros);
		}
		else
			++iterador;
	if (iterador == coleccion_libros.end())
		cout << "\n\n\***BOOK NOT FOUND***";
}

//Once the vector is modified, erase file contents so the new vector can be saved
ofstream archivo("libros.txt", ios::trunc);
archivo.close();

//Serialize vector contents into file
for (auto libro : coleccion_libros)
	serializar_libro("libros.txt", libro);

This is my delete function:

void eliminar_libro(vector<t_libro>::iterator iterador, vector<t_libro>& libros)
{
	char opcion;
	do {
		cout << "\n\nDO YOU WISH TO DELETE [" << iterador->nombre << "]? (Y)es/(N)o: ";
		cin >> opcion;
		cin.ignore();
		tolower(opcion);
	} while ((opcion != 'y') && (opcion != 'n'));
	if (opcion == 'y'){
		cout << "\n\n[ " << iterador->nombre << " ] ";
		iterador = libros.erase(iterador);
		cout << "***BOOK WAS REMOVED***";
	}
	else
		cout << "\n***NO DATA HAS BEEN ALTERED***";
}

I have a similar function to modify data, in which I pass the iterator as an argument in the same way as in the delete function. The modify function works perfectly.
But when it comes to deleting, I get a "vectors iterator incompatible" error: http://k46.kn3.net/8/8/2/3/D/6/D7A.jpg
This error is thrown right after the console outputs "***BOOK WAS REMOVED***".
I've read a few other threads about this but I don't see anything in common with my code so I'm a bit clueless on what could be going on.
Is this a Visual Studio bug, as I've read somewhere? If not, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks!!
Last edited on
erase() invalidates the iterator.
i notice that you do iterador = libros.erase(iterador); in eliminar_libro(), but there you passed iterator by copy, so you are modifying a local variable.

> This error is thrown right after the console outputs "***BOOK WAS REMOVED***".
Run in debug mode and it will point to the exact line that causes the error.

By the way
//Serialize vector contents into file
for (auto libro : coleccion_libros)
	serializar_libro("libros.txt", libro);
¿are you opening the file each time in serializar_libro()?
Thanks so much for your answer :)

As for the first part: I passed the iterator by copy because I assumed I was passing a pointer to a vector element. So I just need the memory address of that vector element, not a pointer to that memory address. Am I analyzing this the wrong way?
And how can I erase the vector element pointed by the iterator and return the modified vector in the "eliminar_libro" function without getting this error message?

About the vector serialization, I am indeed opening the file each time. This is the function being called:
void serializar_libro(const string& file_name, t_libro& un_libro)
{
	ofstream archivo(file_name, ios::app);
	archivo << un_libro.nombre << endl;
	archivo << un_libro.genero << endl;
	archivo << un_libro.isbn << endl;
	archivo.close();
}

I use this function in other parts of the code to save just one book in my text file, and I need all file handling operations separated from the rest of the code.
Is it bad to open and close the file for every vector element? Should I use separate functions when I want to save to file just 1 struct and when I'm saving a whole bunch of them?
Again, thanks for the enlightment :)
Last edited on
Because you assign a new value to the iterator you should pass it by reference. (It would be the same with pointers - you'd pass the pointer by reference)
Ah, silly me! So now I'm passing the iterator by reference and it works in most cases, except when I try to erase the last element in the vector. Sounds logical to me, since I've read that erase() returns an iterator following the last removed element.
So I tried to trick it by doing:

iterador = --(libros.erase(iterador));

But of course it didn't work, hehe. I suppose it's because once the iterator was invalidated I can't decrement it.

So I tried with an if statement before erasing, to ask if iterator == vector.end() and in that case I used pop_back():
if (iterador == libros.end())
	libros.pop_back();
else
	iterador = libros.erase(iterador);

Is this an appropriate approach?
Last edited on
anarelle wrote:
except when I try to erase the last element in the vector.
In that case it returns the end iterator, aka std::end(libros) - just check for that case in your calling code.
You shouldn't need a special case for the last element, try to provide a testcase http://www.eelis.net/iso-c++/testcase.xhtml

Just notice that you ask the user if they want to delete the book, however if they say 'no' then you won't advance in the vector.

> Is it bad to open and close the file for every vector element?
I would say that it is an expensive operation, was expecting that you leave the file open and pass it around void serializar_libro(std::ostream& file_name, t_libro& un_libro) (ostream so you can print it too)

But if it is too much trouble to modify the function and you don't notice the performance hit, then don't touch it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.