Casting problems

I'm trying to do operations using members of struct looping through it. But I always get a casting error.

My struct:

struct Chromosome {
    std::string sChromoName;
    int sWSA;
    double sFC;
  };
  std::vector<Chromosome> chromosomes;

auto MaxWSA = std::max_element( chromosomes.begin(),                    chromosomes.end(),
                                     []( const Chromosome &a, const Chromosome &b )
                                     {
                                         return a.sWSA < b.sWSA;
                                     } );

double fitness = 0.0;

for(unsigned int i = 0; i < chromosomes.size(); i++){
            fitness = 0.5 * (double)(MaxWSA - chromosomes[i].sWSA)/MaxWSA + 0.5 * (chromosomes[i].sFC/100.0);
            probability.emplace_back(chromosomes[i].sChromoName, fitness);
        }

I'm trying to get the maximum value of the sWSA member and do some operations. But it give me the following error:

error: invalid cast from type ‘__gnu_cxx::__normal_iterator<Chromosome*, std::vector<Chromosome> >’ to type ‘double’|

I am really lost here, how can this be fixed? Thank you.
Does it say what lines give you the error?
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Your MaxWSA assignment, you are retrieving an iterator.
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/algorithm/max_element/

Try int MaxWSA = *std::max_element(/* function parms */);

FurryGuy wrote:
Try int MaxWSA = *std::max_element(/* function parms */);
Nope, the typ an iterator to Chromosome: std::vector<Chromosome>::iterator.

if chromosomes is empty the result is invalid (=chromosomes.end()). So you need to check that.

Line 17 would look like this:

fitness = 0.5 * (double)(MaxWSA->sWSA - chromosomes[i].sWSA)/MaxWSA->sWSA + 0.5 * (chromosomes[i].sFC/100.0);

Assumed that you want to use sWSA
pnoid: The error is in line 17.

FurryGuy: I still have errors with *std::max_element, because of the type. They differ from int to Chromosome.

coder777: That's it. You solved my problem. Thank you. Just one question:

MaxWSA->sWSA

This means I am creating a new .sWSA member in the struct with the MaxWSA value, or just assigning the correct type to MaxWSA for the operation?
Last edited on
This means I am creating a new .sWSA member in the struct with the MaxWSA value, or just assigning the correct type to MaxWSA for the operation?
I don't get it.

The iterator (from max_element) references (similiar to a pointer) a certain element in the vector. When you change it it will change the element in the vector.
Thanks for clarifying everything.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.