Project ideas

Hello everyone.

I currently work in the systems administration field (Cisco/Linux) stuff like that. But it is really time for me to become a Jr. programmer as I don't like what I do. I got a degree in Computer Science, but that did not go so great, so I ended up as a Sys Admin.

Anyway, I know this is a C++ forum, but this is a very general question. My dream is to become a C++ programmer, but it is just to hard, I am trying to run before I can walk. But I know C#.NET, that is what my school taught. And I am determined to finally get a job as a C#.NET programmer.

I have one project in the works, a subnet calculator that will also will include some cool features, that most subnet calculators out there do not offer, like summary addresses. And I think that will impress employers in my software portfolio (I hope).

But I would like to have at least three completed software projects before I go out and seek my new career.

So, I was wondering what do you think some good software project might be, that would look good in front of employers? I know this question is really open ended, so I will give some ideas I had, in order to give the scope of the projects I am trying to consider.

One was an elevator simulator, the other was maybe a soda vending machine. Stuff like that. I kind of want to stay away from things like a point of sale systems, as you need to think about the business model in order to code that. I just want to demonstrate my coding abilities and show I can solve problems in code.

So, whatever projects I choose it will take a lot of time and effort. So I thought I might reach out to the community to see what kind of projects you might do for your employment software portfolio. I am using Visual Studio .NET so I can make graphical applications, nothing crazy but the basics.

Elevator sim and soda machine sim, is ok. But not very exciting, I love my subnet calculator because I am in the Cisco networking business so I know subnetting very well. Unfortunately, that is the only net app I can do or think of. I don't think I am smart enough to write my own routing protocol like OSPF. Or if I am that would take me forever to figure out.

Anyway your thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
if you want to impress employers then i would suggest choosing a field you want to go in to.

where do your interests lay? personally i like 3d graphics so wrote a program to draw 3d space ships and fly them around, i didnt use a library, i wanted to show off my 3d programming skills, not my how to use an engine skills.

I was also interested in gadgets, so wrote quite a lot of small programs to control hardware.

It will take you a while to become proficient, and in that time will build up a decent repertoire to show off.

All i can say is software engineering can be as boring as any job, the true knack is to find something you are genuinely interested in and code for that.

I started off in the defence industry in the mid 1980's when i got fed up with that i moved into windows device drivers, and more recently medical systems. Most of my early career was using embedded systems, the past 10 years have been windows applications.

My best advice is to choose something you are interested in, and when your interests change, so should your career :)
WoW, can I become your apprentice? I would love to be a 3D programmer for video games, but that requires so much mathematics and aptitude. I wanted to be a C++ Artificial Intelligence Weapons programmer, working on radar and fire control systems for jet fighters, missiles and attack helicopters. But that is not realistic. I am not MIT material.

I just want to be a programmer, I really don't have the option to choose what kind; I will take what I can get.

C++ is the ELITE in the world of computers; TOP GUN.

I am not top gun, just a guy who wants to write code for a living. And C++ is to intense. I have studied C++ for a long time and it is just to hard. that is why Java and C# exists. Because C/C++ is on a mathematical level of thought.

Anyway, I will take any programming job I can get, I am not smart enough to choose. But once I get that job, things can change and maybe one day I can become one of the ELITE.

A C++ programmer.

You know it's really frustrating, I know a lot about computer programming. And I have worked with people who just knew someone to get them a programming job. I just need that chance. I would work for minimum wage for a programming position.

I just am so scared, of the algorithms questions in an interview. I cannot program a linked list, stack or queue. I can't make a B-tree. I need to memorize these algorithms. I just wish I could figure it out on my own. But hey, code reuse is key right.

Last edited on
Im currently studying 3D Programming for video games (and in general) in university, I can help you out and set you on the right track if you want, pm me if you're interested.

Edit: It obviously requires math, but thats not something you cant learn as you go.
Last edited on
but thats not something you cant learn as you go

I agree with Tarik, I left school at 15 and went to work in a factory.
I learnt everything i know because i needed to know it right then.

when i started there was no internet, i had to get a pen and paper and figure out 3d coordinates for myself,

if i remember correctly (through the grey mists of time) i started with an array of 3d coordinates to draw a square, all i had to do was draw a line between each of the coordinates but of course a screen is 2d so i had to learn how to convert 3d to 2d coordinates so i could draw it.

Thats the level you would be at, learning how to use a "nut and bolt" its satisfying if you are interested, and boring as hell if you arent.

It took a long time before that square could be drawn from any viewpoint. but when it worked i understood why and how.

I dont see C++ as the elite of languages. and nor should you, so long as you place it high and mighty you will always feel inferior to it. (IMHO) just grab it by the little toe and keep going!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.