how would this be done?

Hello, I am new to C++, basically I am trying to make a program that while you are holding spacebar a number decrements, once your health is equal to 0 I want to prompt the user saying they are dead and if they would like to restart enter y and if they would like to exit type n. I tried to do this with a while loop but I don't know what I should use to make it properly.. In my head I'm thinking there should be a class or thread or whatever you call it, basically there needs to be something like this
fullHealth
{
while(1)
	{
           if (GetAsyncKeyState(VK_SPACE))
		{
	          health--;
		  cout << health << endl;
		}
	}
}

Then what I want to do in the main is call the fullHealth function or whatever it would be called, and once health is <= 0 I would like to output the restart question, saying something like "You are dead, would you like me to set your health back to 100? y/n".. If the users input is equal to y I want to jump back to the fullHealth function, if it is equal to n I just want to break the loop and exit the program.. I hope you understand what I am saying and if I am approaching this wrong please let me know, I don't have much coding experience and I don't have the mentality of a "coder" yet. Thanks for the help everyone.
Last edited on
@moop

Here it is, just in main(). It shouldn't be that difficult to use it in a function, instead.

#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>

using namespace std;

#define SPACE 32 // ASCII for spacebar

int main()
{
	int ch;
	int health = 100;
	char Y_N;
	do
	{
		do
		{
			cout << health << "\b\b\b";
			ch = _getch();
			if(ch == SPACE)
			{
				health--;
				cout << health << " \b\b\b\b"; // To put cursor back 4 spaces.
                                                               // Now overwrites previous output
			}
		}while(health >= 0);
		cout << "You are dead. Would you like me to set your health back to 100? [Y or N] ";
		do
		{
			cin >> Y_N;
			Y_N = toupper(Y_N);
			if(Y_N == 'Y')
				health = 100;
		}while(Y_N !='Y' && Y_N != 'N');
	}while(Y_N == 'Y');
	return 0;
}
Last edited on
Hello moop,

This is not as fancy as what whitenite1 did, but it is built off of what you started with.

int main()
{
        int health{ 10 };  //  Short for testing.

FullHealth(health);

return 0;
}

void FullHealth(int health)
{
	char cont{ 'N' };

while (1)
	{

if (GetAsyncKeyState(VK_SPACE))
		{
			health--;
			std::cout << health << std::endl;
			_getch();  //  To clear the input buffer and wait for the next key press.
		}

if (health < 1)
		{
			std::cout << "\n You are dead, would you like me to set your health back to 100? y/n. ";
			std::cin >> cont;

if (toupper(cont) == 'Y')
			{
				std::cout << "\n\n";
				health = 10;  //  Used 10 just to keep it short for testing.
				std::cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n');
			}
			else
				break;
		}
	}
}

Line 34 requires the header file "limits". On my setup I include the header file "Windows.h" and need to follow this "#undef max" and then include "limits" for max to work correctly.

The function works, but could use a little tweaking.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.