Creating & Compiling Larger Applications With MSVC/GCC/G++

Hi, I am having trouble finding information on what processes one should take when creating a project with one of the visual studio or gnu compilers for c++ with multi-library applications. Not so much the actual code files, but more the compiler/linker and how 3rd party applications can be found by the compilers, as well as how you structure your own program. Any reading material on this would be great, but either way...

My question is, how do YOU first create and later compile a project with (msvc or g++/gcc) when you have more than one library?

- What is the compiler you usually use to make applications?
- What does your file structure usually look like? What are the folders, and what purposes are they used for? (or at least, what is the standard layout of the files and folders for general applications)
- Where do you put your third party files (the .lib, the headers, and any other needed information)? And more importantly, what steps are always taken for those libraries to be found and compiled with (static and dynamic would be helpful)?
- What steps do you take when you are deploying your application/library?

Please be detailed, and thanks a lot for answering
Bump, maybe this is the wrong category?
Last edited on
1) What ever compiler you like. I prefer MSVC.

2) If you're using third party libraries, it is best not to change the source and object file structure of the libraries. Most widely available libraries have a well thought out folder structure. Usually something like:
<drive>:\ <library-name> \ <source-folder> (often src)
<drive>:\ <library-name> \ <include-folder> (often inc)
<drive>:\ <library-name> \ <object-folder>  (often bin)

For my own Visual Studio projects, I do something like this:
[code]
<drive> :\ DEV \ <project> \ <source-and-include>
<drive> :\ DEV \ <project> \ { DEBUG | RELEASE } \ <objects>

3) You need to tell your IDE or compiler where is find library headers and object files. How to do this varies by compiler / IDE.

4) IDE will FTP executable to target platform.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.