(Beginner) string variables not equaling in if statement

I'm new to learning C++ and following a book.
I can't seem to figure out why I keep receiving the cout from the else statement instead of from the if statement.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    string my_pass;
    string entered_pass;

cout << "Please choose a password for yourself: ";
    cin >> my_pass;
    getline(cin, my_pass, '\n');
    cout << "Okay, now please verify that password: ";
    getline(cin, entered_pass, '\n');

if (my_pass == entered_pass)
    {
        cout << "Great, password verified!";
    }
    else
    {
        cout << "Ahh can't be helped. I don't know how to let you enter another password...";
    }
}

When I change if (my_pass == entered_pass) to if (my_pass == "xyzzy"), and I enter "xyzzy" for my_pass, I still receive the cout from the else statement.

I've tried to look around on this forum and googled places, but either I haven't found it, or I don't understand what I'm reading.
Did you try to print out the "password" after you try to retrieve the information?

Why are you trying to have the use enter the password three times?

cout << "Please choose a password for yourself: ";
    cin >> my_pass;   ///////// 1
    getline(cin, my_pass, '\n'); ///////// 2
    cout << "Okay, now please verify that password: ";
    getline(cin, entered_pass, '\n');  /////// 3 

By the way switching between the extraction operator>> and getline() is problematic because the extraction operator leaves the new line character in the input stream which causes getline() to terminate it's entry.

In this case, presumably the password doesn't contain spaces?
If that's the case, then use

cin >> my_pass;

instead of

getline(cin, my_pass, '\n');

Well - your code has both, and that's the cause of the problem. Stick to one or the other and it should work.

What happens is, after the cin >> at line 12, there is a trailing newline left in the input buffer. Then, when the getline() at line 13 is reached, the function will read into the string until a newline is found, resulting in an empty string.

On some occasions (not here) you do need to have both cin >> something and getline(something else). If you did need to do that, then you'd need to empty the input buffer after the cin >> statement.

One way to do that would be

cin >> my_pass >> ws;

the ws means read and discard any whitespace, which will include the unwanted newline.

Another way is to use ignore, for example
    cin >> my_pass;
    cin.ignore(1000, '\n'); // ignore up to 1000 characters, or until a newline is found 

Thank-you both very much! I took out

cin >> my_pass;

and it worked! I hadn't realized what the getline() was really doing until now.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.