Breaking and returning to main / restart program.

When i input a a negative integer, the it does break which is what i want but when i input a positive integer, it still breaks. Any workarounds? If so, i also want to learn how will i be able to restart the program instead of terminating it instead? I'm just starting out C++ so yeah :)

#include <iostream>
using  namespace std;

//* Variables declared below (int, double, float).
double remainBal; // remaining balance after deduction of purchased laptop from income

main()
{
// Determining the user's income.
    cout << "How much do you earn yearly? $";
    double getIncome;
    cin  >> getIncome;

while(true) // rest of the code must be inside the 'while' statement in order to use the 'break' statement.
{
    if (getIncome < 0)
        cout << "You have entered an invalid amount."; break;

if (getIncome > 10000)                                             // If user earns more than $10k a year.
            cout << "You earn more than $10,000 a year. \n";
                else if(getIncome < 10000)                                  // If user earns less than $10k a year.
                    cout << "You earn less than $10,000 a year. \n";
                    else
                        cout << "You earn exactly $10,000 a year! \n";     // If user earns $10k a year.

// Selection of available laptops for sale
    cout << "Select which laptop brand would you like to purchase\n";
    cout << "1) Dell - $15,000\n";
    cout << "2) Asus - $ 7,000\n";
    cout << "Your choice: ";
    int LaptopSelection;
    cin >> LaptopSelection;

//  If Dell was selected
    if (LaptopSelection == 1)
    {  remainBal = getIncome - 15000;
        {   if (remainBal > 0)                                 // if Dell is affordable
            cout << "You have $" << remainBal << "left.";}
                if (remainBal < 0)                             // if Dell is not affordable
                cout << "Sorry, you do not have enough cash in order to make a purchase.";  }

else

//   If Asus was selected
     if (LaptopSelection == 2)
     {  remainBal = getIncome - 7000;
        {   if (remainBal > 0)                                 // if Asus is affordable
            cout << "You have $" << remainBal << "left.";}
                if (remainBal < 0)                             // if Asus is not affordable
                cout << "Sorry, you do not have enough cash in order to make a purchase.";  }

}     // End of while statement.

/* The statement 'break' ends the program (goes to 'return 0') */
/* if the input entered is a negative integer                  */

return 0;
}
Last edited on
Line 7: main must be declared as type int

Line 17: Only the cout is conditional on the if statement. If you want multiple statements to be conditional on the if statement, you must use {} around the statements.
  if (getIncome < 0)
  { cout << "You have entered an invalid amount."; 
    break;
  } 

PLEASE USE CODE TAGS (the <> formatting button) when posting code.
It makes it easier to read your code and also easier to respond to your post.
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/
Hint: You can edit your post, highlight your code and press the <> formatting button.

thank you! i'm new here so yeah ;)
if you want the program to restart put the portion of code that you want to repeat in a while loop and create a bool which is true i.e bool userContinue = true; which is outside of the while loop. Inside your while loop ask if they would like to continue. If their inout indicates they would not make userContinue = false and it will break out of the while loop ending the program.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.