copy data from function to a var.

Hi guys, hope you're doing great!

I would like some help with this. I know is a very noob and rookie question.
I'm trying to get a value from a function, however, the scope is not the same, and destroy is being called before that I can use it.

const char * getUserInput ()
{
  std::string userInputStr = "40";
  return userInputStr.c_str ();
} // userInputStr destroy is being called, so the value is lost

int main ()
{
  const char *userInput = getUserInput ();
  //expected output The Number is 40
  //current output The Number is (null)
  printf ("The Number is %s\n", userInput); 
  return 0;
}

you can run it in the following link
https://onlinegdb.com/Hk1OEpHb7

One workaround that I found is making userInputStr local in the class which is awful given that I don't need that var living in the class. is there a proper way to achieve this?
Last edited on
The first thing is that if you are going to use C++ then you should code in C++. printf is not the norm in C++. Nor are C-style strings. So the C++ answer is:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

std::string getUserInput()
{
  std::string str;
  std::cout << "Whassup? ";
  std::getline(std::cin, str);
  return str;
}

int main ()
{
  std::string userInput = getUserInput();
  std::cout << "The user entered: " << userInput << '\n';
  return 0;
}

If you really need a C-style string (e.g., to pass to a function that only takes such an animal), just use c_str() on the returned std::string.
Hello, thanks for helping me!!!!, it works. I mean by using string instead const char *, here is the new code...
https://onlinegdb.com/ryFlvJU-m

So, but I'd like to learn how to handle the pointer in C example. I believe the problem in C was the pointer, and I could run into similar issues in the future with C++.

If I understand well the function is returning the pointer of userInputStr, that was destroyed at the end of the function causing the value is not persisting later.

Is there a way to solve the issue pointer in C? I mean besides of set userInputStr as global var in the class.

I do appreciate if you can explain that part. Otherwise, cool your help was very nice, thanks! :)
If you have your heart set on returning a char* from the function, then the C-style string should be allocated "on the heap" (i.e., dynamically through the "new" operator) instead of on the stack. Something like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cstring> // strcpy

char *getUserInput()
{
  std::string str;
  std::cout << "Whassup? ";
  std::getline(std::cin, str);
  char *ret = new char[str.size() + 1]; // allocate char array on heap (+1 for '\0' at end)
  std::strcpy(ret, str.c_str()); // copy the chars from the std::string
  return ret;  // voilĂ 
}

int main ()
{
  char *userInput = getUserInput();
  std::cout << "The user entered: " << userInput << '\n';
  delete [] userInput;  // dynamically-allocated memory should be freed
  return 0;
}

But in C++ it's best to avoid new as much as possible by using std::string, std::vector, std::list, etc., since dynamic allocation can lead to nasty errors.
Last edited on
Instead of returning a char* allocated on the heap you can let the caller supply a buffer for the input.
void getUserInput(char *buffer, size_t size)
{
  // your code
}

char input[32] = {0};
getUserInput(input, sizeof(input));

In this case you don't need dynamic memory, => KISS principle.
it depends on what you really want to do.

for a simple, single threaded, easy to use solution you can do this:

char * foo()
{
     static char c[1000];  //biggest value you expect to get for a string in the program goes here. 
     //assign c here, or it can be a constant above with "value" approach
    // whatever
   return c;   //this is valid because the static keyword keeps c around until the program ends. 
  //this approach will cause you no end of grief if you multi-thread it. 
}

This stuff is old school C and early C++ code. It is not wise to use it anymore, unless you are trying to tie a C and C++ program together, or editing legacy code, or something like that. Listen to people about string etc.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.