Printing polynomials

What tools should I use to draw graphs of polynomials in the xy-plane in VisualStudio?
I think there is an excel -lite widget that can plot simple graphs, for the get-it-done solution. There are a lot of other ways to do it that take varying degrees of effort.

Just output columnar x-y data to file from your c++ program and use gnuplot:
http://www.gnuplot.info/

To use the defaults just open gnuplot, change folder to the folder with your data file in, and type
p "filename"

(including those quotes).

No need to load the data into any program. Plenty more options for plotting in gnuplot, but the default is remarkably effective for a quick graph.
There are a lot of other ways to do it that take varying degrees of effort

Can you list some of them?
you can use directdraw or whatever it is now (I havent done this in a while ... actually havent done anything productive in a while, just a few unix utility programs ... been working in another language and trying to catch up my c++) to do an owner-drawn window or section of a window and totally roll it out yourself drawing pixels where you want them (axis, labels, plot itself, etc all drawn by you).

you can probably find a number of chart/plot type third party freebies out there in cyber space.

you can use the windows drawing stuff (slightly different and much more weird and limiting than direct draw, but also a little easier in some ways).

you can draw it to an RGB array and load it in a picture/image widget, even turn it into a jpg file or something and show that, etc.

I personally have a DIY approach to coding that comes from not having all the cool toys we have now. This feels like something that you should be able to just do with little to no effort via either something already in the visual tools or gettable online. The DIY stuff can be fun, but unless you just want to play with it for fun, its probably not a great approach.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.