return false;
        }
    }
    else {
        if(num_votes == -10)
        return false;
    }
  }

I have a function which works well and I would like to unit test it. The function takes in duration of campaign, computes the number of votes num_votes. If number of votes is greater than 0, vote count count_votes (which is functionally different from num_votes) is read. If vote count is greater than 0, return true, otherwise return false.

There is a possibility that the number of votes might go till -10 and if it reaches -10, then return false. I would like to unit test this function. I understand I have to use mock for this. However, being new to gmock, I am not sure how I can implement. Below is the best I tried so far. Please let me where I am going wrong.

TEST(test1, c1){
    bank* vote_bank = new bank();
    vote_bank::num_votes = 5;
    vote_bank::count_votes = 6;

EXPECT_EQ(true, bank->read1(0));

vote_bank::num_votes = -10;
    EXPECT_EQ(false, bank->read1(0));
  }
What is it that you want to mock?

I need to unit test the function. In order to do so, I suppose I might have to mock variables like num_votes and count_votes, am I correct in thinking that way? Or can I unit test them without mocking?
It doesn't make sense to mock a simple int. What interface does an int have, that you could write a mock for it?

I get the feeling you don't really understand what mocking is, or what it's used for. The wiki article looks like a good start, if you want to get a better understanding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_object

The Google Mock project itself also has a brief introduction:

https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googlemock/docs/ForDummies.md

Last edited on
I think in its current state the function isn't testable since it depends on two external functions - take_vote and read.
To unit test you would need to mock these two functions.
For example if read were part of a class VoteReader and Bank had a member reader you could create a mock object, pass it to the bank object so for testing, the read1 method would call the read method of the mock object. Same procedure for take_vote.
Hope this makes any sense.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.