Need some help with Home work

Just got some home work where my teacher asked me to write some functions.
I honestly have no idea where to start...

first is a function that sums all the values from 0 to n.It accepts one parameter which is the value to sum to inclusively.

the next one is a customized method that recursively calculates the length of the string passed as an argument.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Start simple with the first function.
In main you just get the input of n and call the function sum with n as parameter.
In sum you need only a simple for loop.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

/*
 * Returns the sum of all numbers from 0 to n inclusive
 */
int sum(int n)
{
  // TODO - implement me
}

int main() 
{

}
And what is that for loop?
Last edited on
the loop sums all the values from 0 to n, although this is also doable by a known equation … you can directly compute the answer instead, but you should know how to do the loop or you will never get anywhere.
Last edited on
how would you write that?
and ouch my feelings
i seriously dont know how to write the loop
Last edited on
Give it a try
int i = 0;
for(int i = 0; i < n; i++)
cout << i

i know that isnt right but its what i know
Last edited on
Declaring variables with the same name can cause problems. It's not good to do int i = 0 both inside and outside the loop.

You want 0 to n inclusive. Your loop isn't reaching 'n' right now.

You need a second variable to store the result of your calculation. For each number i from 0 to n, add i to the result. Return the result from your function. Remember to initialize the result to zero before the loop.
result = 0;
for(int i = 0; i <= n; i++) {
result = result + i;
}
return result;

Is this correct????
Last edited on
Yes, just remember to declare result with a type, and remember all your semi-colons.

int result = 0;

Also, it is perfectly fine to do this:
result = result + i;
but this is the same thing and reads nicer:
result += i;
The latter statement combines the addition and assignment.
@chris simms
It's always fine to learn by asking questions (unless you're on Stack Overflow), but this is some really basic stuff. I think you'd be much better off if you just worked through some C++ tutorials.

(https://www.learncpp.com/ is my recommendation)
oh wait, the function needs to be recursive! how would i do that now?
Last edited on
No for loop, then:

int sum_first_n_natural_numbers(int n) 
{
  return n <= 0? 0: n + sum_first_n_natural_numbers(n - 1);
}
good job getting the loop.
if you are being asked to do recursion and struggled with a for loop, you need to put in some study time as you are falling behind. And I am not trying to hurt your feelings, I am trying to warn you before you get so far behind it can't be fixed.

recursion is a function that calls itself and needs a base case. See how Mbozzi flipped the logic so it would stop on zero, counting from n down to 0 instead of up, to make it easier to write? So it calls itself with the input minus 1 until the input it zero, then pops back out with the sum.

if you call it with 5, it calls itself with 5+ sum of everything to 4.
4 + sum of everything to 3. 3+ sum to 2. 2+ sum to 1. 1+ sum to zero.
zero returns zero. 1 returns 1+0. 2 returns 2+ the previous result (1+0). 3 returns 3+ the previous result (2+1+0, stored as 3). and so on.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.