Getting error "cannot convert 'double (*)[5]' to 'double' "

I am trying to create a program that will open a file, and append the contents into a two-dimensional array.

#include<iomanip>
#include<fstream>
#include<string>
#include<cstring>

using namespace std;

const int MAX_COLUMNS = 5;// The maximum amount of columns is 5

int readFile(double, int, string);// The function readFile has a double array, int, and string as parameters

int main()
 {
   string fileName;//The name of the file to be opened

int numActualRows = 0,//A variable to store the amount of rows within the array

const int MAX_ROWS = 20;//The maximum amount of rows that can be within the array

double values[MAX_ROWS][MAX_COLUMNS],// The array that will hold the contents of the file

cin >> fileName;/*The name of the file is read in, and is used as the argument when readfile() is called. The previously declared array along with the file name are also used as arguments. */

//The value returned by readFile(); is stored within numActualRows.

numActualRows = readFile(values, MAX_ROWS, fileName);

cout << numActualRows;

return 0;
}

int readFile(double values[][MAX_COLUMNS], int maxRows, string inputFileName)
{
  ifstream myFile; // The file used to populate the array

int rowsRead = 0;// A variable to store the amount of rows read via data processing

myFile.open(inputFileName);//The file is opened, specified by the user

if(myFile)//If it is a valid file, process until end of file
  {

//While data is processed, a loop is used to populate the array.
    while(myFile)
    {
    for(int currentCollumn = 0; currentCollumn < MAX_COLUMNS; currentCollumn++)
    {
      myFile >> values[rowsRead][currentCollumn];

if(currentCollumn % 5 == 0)
      {
        rowsRead++;//For every five columns, the amount of rows read is increased and the index of the first dimension is also supposed to increase.
      }

if(rowsRead == 20)
      {
        break;//If the amount of rows read by the loop is 20, stop the loop
      }

}

myFile.close();//When the loop ends, close the file

if(rowsRead == 0 || rowsRead < 5)
    {
      return 0;//If there is no or too little data in the file, return 0
    }

else{
    return rowsRead;//Otherwise, return the amount of rows read
    }
    }
  }

else//Otherwise, the function returns -1
  {
    return -1;
  }

}

This is only part of my code, as I am just trying to test the readFile(); function to see if it performs properly. I am at a loss as to why I am receiving this error.
compare lines 10 and 41
You need to make your prototype match the function.

If MAX_ROWS is const just like MAX_COLUMNS then there's not much point passing it around. You may as well make it global, too.

"Column" only has one 'l'.

Your comments are insane. It's possible your (bad) teacher wants it that way, but it's important for you to realize how utterly pointless it is to write a novel to the right of your code.
Last edited on
The comment abundance is in fact due to the formatting requirements for the course. The problem is that we are not allowed to make anything a global variable other than MAX_COLUMNS
Last edited on
Thank you for the assistance, however if I wanted to do a prototype in the form of double func(double, double,double), with the first double being a multi-dimensional array, am I required to specify the indexes or is it possible to make the prototype without using something like double array[1][2]?
Last edited on
For double func(double, double,double) , if you want the first double as a multi-dimensional array, then it would be something like double func(double[][MAX_COLUMS], double, double) or double func(double[][5], double, double)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.