Char/ Int problems.

Hello. I'm an c++ beginner, and I want to make a little program, but i am suck here... i don't know how can I do with char, to input more that 1 character.
What I need to use, and how?
Thanks!

#include "pch.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <conio.h>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

char enter;
char yes;
char no[2];

int main()
{
	cout << "Welcome to my program! \n";
	cout << "Do you want to open the program? yes/no \n";

cin >> enter;

if (enter == 'yes') {

cout << "We're getting you in!";
	}
	else if (enter == 'no'){

cout << "We're sorry about your decision. \n Closing the app!";

}
	else {
		cout << "Error! Allowed answers is yes & no.";

};

return 0;

}
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
std::cin.getline()

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/istream/basic_istream/getline/
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Or use C++ strings and then std::cin will get more than one character, whole word, at a time.

std::getline and std::string you can get an entire line of text including what std::cin would normally see as delimiters.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/getline/?kw=getline
(enter == 'yes') and (enter == 'no') should be (enter == "no") and (enter == "no")

Single quotes are used only for single characters.

As for your question, you can simple do
char enter[10];
cin >> enter;
Only problem with this is that if the user enters more than 9 characters then your program will write to indexes out of memory. Which is bad. So you should use std::cin.getline() like FurryGuy said. Note that cin.getline() also reads whitespaces.

Another thing, (enter == "yes") doesn't work for character arrays. You need to use strcmp http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/cstring/strcmp/

But like FurryGuy said if you know about the string datatype, you should use that instead. And you seemed to have included <string> already. == is supported by string so you don't need to use strcmp in that case.
Grime, what do you mean with
(enter == 'yes') and (enter == 'no') should be (enter == "no") and (enter =="no") .

I should use " instead of '?
Yes instead of. You should use that if you're using string the datatype otherwise you've got to use strcmp like I said.
if you put s on the end of it you can use == because this forces the string literal into a string object.

eg
string enter;
if(enter == "yes"s) //I may have messed up the syntax here, but if you need/want this you can look it up, my apologies as I don't do a lot of string processing.

By the way you declared enter as string so that would work even without specifying "yes" to be string

char enter[4] = "yes";

if (enter == "yes"s)
		cout << "Yep jonnin's right";

Ooo jonnin's right. Didn't know you could do that! But what exactly happens when you change "yes" to "yes"s? And why does the comparison work only when it's specified as string as in what's the difference in how it's read by the compiler?

Doesn't work on older compilers though it seems.
its just making a string instead of a char* for the literal behind the scenes. Its probably a mashup for efficiency behind the scenes, I don't know... but the user can treat it like a string.

I missed many generations of the language, I basically skipped from 99 to 2017 c++ versions... so I am no good at telling you when a feature was added. Im doing good just to know some of whats out there!

It works because the undelying type. String supports overload for ==, char* does not.
Last edited on
So "yes"s is treated like an array (yes it's a string literal) as opposed to being a pointer? But why is "" a pointer in the first place?
no, "yes"s is treated like a string.
"yes" without the s is treated like a char*

"" is a pointer because strings were added to the language later. When I learned c++, string did not exist. There were borland strings, microsoft strings, your company strings, bob's string class, joe's string class.... everyone took a crack at it and they were all different and most of them were terrible. Microsoft to this day has a lot of clunk in its tools because of its approach to strings (known by the wonderful names like slznptr or something like that to tell what kind of string it was by the letter codes in the name)
String the datatype :0? I don't get it. What happens if you don't include string?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.