Sort a vector of strings

Hi I am hoping someone might be able to help with with a quick question. I am working on a problem on paper as I am not near a computer, so I can not test what I am about to ask.

If I get input from a user as strings, and each string I pass it to a vector. Can I call sort() on the vector to put the strings into alphabetical order?
Why wouldn't it?

#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>

int main()
{
   std::vector<std::string> vec = { "Can", "These", "Words", "Be", "Sorted", "?" };

std::sort(vec.begin(), vec.end());

for (const auto& itr : vec)
   {
      std::cout << itr << "  ";
   }
   std::cout << '\n';
}
?  Be  Can  Sorted  These  Words

The wondrous things STL containers and algorithms can do.
I've just recently became familiar with the sort function etc, so was not sure if it works the same way with strings as it does with integers. But now I know, thank you for the help
The STL (containers, iterators, algorithms, functions) was designed to work generically on any built-in type and with any user-defined type that supports some elementary operations (such as copying and assignment).

In a rough nutshell:

While std::basic_string isn't part of the STL, it has been designed to work with the STL algorithms and functions.
In a slightly smoother nutshell:

If it has a < operator (and is movable), you can use it with std::sort. If it doesn't have a < operator (but is still movable), then you can still use it with std::sort, but you'll need to pass it a binary predicate that it can use to sort your stuff.

-Albatross
Last edited on
std::string is
* movable http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/operator=/
* has op< http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/operators/
Note though that the op< is case sensitive:
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>

int main() {
   std::vector<std::string> vec = { "Words", "These", "be", "sorted", "Can", "?" };
   std::sort(vec.begin(), vec.end());
   for (const auto& itr : vec) {
      std::cout << itr << "  ";
   }
   std::cout << '\n';
}

?  Can  These  Words  be  sorted  
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.