fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file

I have been having a crazy problem since I started using visual C++. nomatter what my code is, occasionally when I make changes and try to rebuild, I get the error LNK1104 saying that it cannot open my file for writing (the exe itself). I have been told this implies that the program is still open, but the console is closed, and I have even gone so far as to exit "msbuild" from the task manager to no avail. Can anyone help me? It is impossible to work effectively when half the time that I make changes it can not rebuild.
Have you considered using a different IDE? I use Code::Blocks and the only problems that I have pertain to my inability to code.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That makes no sense. Something is wrong, terribly wrong. Something must be wacky with your computer, cause I use Visual C++ 2010 Express, and have no problems at all.
Close VS

Delete the exe

If you can't delete the exe, log out then log back in.

Rebuild.
Is there anything that doesnt involve having to exit the program?
Erm, is there some reason you can't? Disch has basically given you a solution that is most likely to work given what you've tried already.
it takes about 2 minutes (one if Im fast) to do close the program, delete the exe, and wait for visual c++ to reopen. I make changes to my programs an an almost constant basis, and then recompile and run to check how the changes work. Having to wait 1-2 minutes for every 7 or 8 minutes of coding is a very inefficient use of time. If there is a way to fix this problem without closing visual C++, it will save a lot of time.
probably there's something incomplete with your instalation process. in the other words, re-install... or re-download. it just the matter of technical problems...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.