Whats wrong with my code?

I have written this simple code to measure the time duration it takes for a user to input the data for calculation. Please help me and correct this program. I shall stay thankful..

//To calculate time duration it takes to perform an operation of addition

#include <iostream>
#include <conio>
#include <time.h>
int main()
{
int a,b,c;
int start, finish;

clock_t start (clock());   //THIS LINE IS GIVING ME ERROR!!
cout<<"Enter digit";
cin>>a;
cout<<"\nEnter digit";
cin>>b;
c = a+b;
clock_t finish (clock()); //THIS LINE IS ALSO GIVING ME ERROR!!

cout<<"Time to calculate sum is:"<<(finish-start)/1000.0<< "seconds";
cout<<c;
getche();
}
Last edited on
I haven't really worked with clock, but I'm guessing that your functions are value-returning, which means you need to set your variables equal to the function.

Ex:
start = clock_t(clock());

But this is just my guess. Error messages might help in getting your problem solved if this is not the case.
No i checked with this too. It doesn't work! Can you suggest something else?? Please
You can't have two variables named start and finished.
What error are you getting??? You should always quote the error the compiler, linker, debugger, or program/system reports.

But I can see you are declaring int variables called start and finish and then reusing the same names to declare clock_t variables. Removing the line int start, finish; should fix the error (which I would think is a complaint about using the same varable names).

Or you can change line 9 to:
clock_t start, finish;

and then use

start = clock();

and

finish = clock();

Andy

PS GRex2595's suggestion is benign but unnecessary. clock() returns a value of type clock_t (clock ticks), and this line is just a cast to type clock_t (which it already is)

start = clock_t(clock());

same as

start = (clock_t)clock();
Last edited on
In my defense, I didn't realize that clock_t was a class. I thought that clock_t was a function which would lead me to believe that my line was the solution, but it's good to know that it's a class and I might be able to use this now.
clock_t isn't a class. It's just a typedef (like size_t) of some integral type (Digital Mars's C++ compiler uses a long), which is all that's needed to represent a tick count.
Last edited on
Ok. . .
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.