Best book for beginners?

Just curious what book or tutorial might be best for beginners? I have Learn C++ in 21 days second edition. Is this good enough?? What about the tutorial here at cplusplus.com??

Thanks
I have Learn C++ in 21 days second edition. Is this good enough??

No, it's a bad book.

What about the tutorial here at cplusplus.com??

You won't learn C++ properly with just tutorials.
A good beginner book is the C++ Primer:
http://www.amazon.com/Primer-4th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0201721481
Thanks. I also have that book. I'll check it out ;)

@Athar

I have Learn C++ in 21 days second edition. Is this good enough??

No, it's a bad book.

Why do you think thsi is a bad book?
It essentially teaches (bad) C with classes and contains many errors. The only mention of STL in the book is a short section at the end of the chapter about templates. The bool type isn't even mentioned.
It's possible that some of this improved in later editions, but I don't have much hope.
@Athar
The bool type isn't even mentioned

In the chapter 3 I see a table of fundamental types where the first line is
bool 1( size ) true or false (value).
Though I have the Third Edition. I see nothing bad in this book.
Really, I just want to learn the basics for now.
'Programming principles and practice C++'is a good introductory for not only programming,but also to C++ itself. Besides,it is written by the CREATOR of C++, so yeah,there is a good book for ya!
I do not think that books of Straustrup are good for beginners. Moreover He demonstrates a very bad style of programming. Many of his e[amples of code are examples of how one should not write programs.:)
He is the author I never recommend to read his books.
Last edited on
I think I'll stick with C++ Primer for now. From what I gather, it is one of the best for beginners.
I've heard C++ Primer Plus is more of an introductory book.
try reading "data structures through c++" by yashwant Prabhakar Kanetkar. its nice one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvC1WCdV1XU&feature=bf_prev&list=PLAE85DE8440AA6B83
This guy "Bucky" has some pretty good tutorials on a wide range of c++ topics, I suggest watching his tutorials while reading any book, he helps clear up a lot of questions you may have. He teaches things that all beginners should learn. Each tutorial is less than 9 minutes on youtube and he covers a ton of issues.

He's using the CODEBLOCKS compiler in his videos.

(I bookmarked his site because I'm still learning and have to go back to his tut's from time to time if I don't understand what my books say.)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.