Unions

Why were unions created? what are their uses!?!
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Unions are useful when you don't know beforehand which datatype a variable will be holding.

For instance:

union Number
{
    int i;
    double d;
};

In this case memory will be reserved for the largest datatype in the union to make sure that whatever value a variable of type Number has, it will fit in memory.

This is a simple example of course, when you create your own objects (which might be inherited from one and other) this could seem more useful.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
NwN
They are not used much anymore as far as I know, plus if you you know what they do, when the time comes you will know to use them.
closed account (zb0S216C)
I've seen them used for multiple implementations. Here's a few:

Conversions. Because C++'s conversion operators do not allow conversion from a void pointer (with reinterpret_cast), a union may be used to perform this cast. For instance:

template <typename T>
void *convert_to_voidp(T *pointer)
{
    union
    {
        T *in;
        void *out;
    } result;

result.in = pointer;
    return(result.out);
}

C++ restricts conversions to a void pointer for a reason, so this sort of conversion isn't exactly safe, nor does it make much sense. You'd best have a good reason for using this conversion method. Be sure to favour static_cast to convert from a void*.

CPU Registers. This sort of union usage is found in kernel implementations. Here's a sample:

union cpu_registers
{
    short ax; // 16-bit register
    int eax;  // 32-bit register
    long long int rax; // 64-bit register
};

Variants. Commonly found in scripting languages such as Lua, and Python. Variants allow a variable to store 1 value at a time, but that value can be of multiple types. This usage of unions allow variables to be dynamic, and possibly polymorphic. Here's a sample:

union variant 
{
    double double_value;
    int int_value;
    char char_value;

/* operators... */
};

enum variant_tag 
{
    DOUBLE,
    INT,
    CHAR
};

struct dynamic_variable 
{
    variant value;
    variant_tag tag; // Identifies the current value type
};

I/O Ports. Similar to the CPU registers implementation of the union.

Since unions only reserve enough memory to hold the largest member, it saves memory, unlike a structure which allocates memory for members + alignment padding. There's no other structure in the C/C++ programming language that behaves like a union. Because of this, it's considered unique. Unions are by far one of the most flexible structures in the language. The flexibility of a union depends on the types it supports, and the operators it overloads.

Edit: Typo.

Wazzak
Last edited on
closed account (o3hC5Di1)
Thanks for that Framework - informative as always :)

All the best,
NwN
Because C++'s conversion operators do not allow conversion to a void pointer
¿?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.