The Right Package.

I want to learn C++ and was thinking of getting C++ for Dummies by
Stephen R. Davis, And while this is ok to start with, I'd like to learn C++ to an advanced level.

I also have Access to Intel Parallel Studio V1.0 but no documentation.

Is there a book i can buy that will teach me C++ from a beginner level using Intel Parallel Studio, Or would it be better to take the dummy root?

I've learnt to program in 4 languages so the ability is there, Sadly i just cant find any documentation for compilers that cater for a beginner to an advanced level.

What i dont want is to keep logging on to a forum asking one question after another, I want the information in a book written for whatever compiler i decide to use.

All comment's are welcome.
I've never heard of this Parallel Studio, is it old? if so I wouldn't recommend using it, there are plenty of free alternatives.

I also wouldn't recommend any Dummies book, they might be 'OK' but I'd rather learn from a book written by someone who knows what they are talking about, if you want one of the best books on C++ written by the most qualified person to teach you C++ from beginner to advanced then get "Principles & Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of the C++ language, I own it myself and it is quite good although I didn't learn from it.

alternatively if you just need a kick up the @$$ to get you started on the syntax, there are plenty of video tutorials on youtube
Last edited on
Thank's for replying Zephilinox, Parallel Studio is fairly new, And caters for multi-core CPU's.
What i'm after is a compiler and book for that compiler, Which list all keyword's and their syntax with discriptions of what the keyword's do.
I've had a long look around the net and cant find anything except the Dummie book and compiler on CD, Which is why i mentioned it.
I've very briefly 'played around' with C++ to know that what work's in one compiler wont neccesarily work in another, That is why i want a compiler and book.
I really do want to avoid browsing the internet or spend time posting in forum's and waiting for an answer, when i could find the answer in a couple of minutes by referencing a book.
if you stick to the ANSI C++ standard, then your C++ code will run on any other compiler, assuming that compiler is up to date and also following the ANSI C++ standard (which they should be) and that the libraries you are using aren't OS-Dependant

you might be able to find some stuff here http://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-home

you don't need a compiler on a CD to follow along, there are three main compilers used, for windows the visual studio compiler is popular, though you can also use the GCC compiler and the (experimental 32-bit) clang compiler.

on linux you can use the GCC compiler and the clang compiler, and on macOS you can use the clang compiler (and maybe some others, I don't know anything about macs)

of course, then you have IDE's which don't affect your code, they just make it easier to write it, IDE's are things like visual studio, net beans, eclipse, xCode, code::blocks(what I use)
Last edited on
Can you reccomend a book for a beginner and a compiler to use?
What i'm looking for is a compatible book and compiler so i can type in examples of code from the book and run them without having syntax errors.
I've been searching the net and cant find a good tutorial book that tell's me which compiler was used.
This subject seem's vast to me right now, After all the searching i've done.
AFAIK, currently this is the only introductory C++ book that is up to date:
http://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Edition-Stanley-Lippman/dp/0321714113

Though, C++11 aside, this is an excellent introduction to C++ (IMHO):
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Any recent compiler from clang, GNU or Microsoft would do. If you are on On windows, this is a reasonable choice: http://nuwen.net/mingw.html
Last edited on
closed account (zb0S216C)
Zephilinox wrote:
"I also wouldn't recommend any Dummies book, they might be 'OK' but I'd rather learn from a book written by someone who knows what they are talking about"
-1 C++ for Dummies is an excellent book for neophytes, as it simplifies advanced concepts, such as exception handling, polymorphism, and inheritance, without misleading the reader. However, for experienced users, it's a book you wouldn't learn anything from.

Zephilinox wrote:
"alternatively if you just need a kick up the @$$ to get you started on the syntax, there are plenty of video tutorials on youtube"
-1 Videos are a questionable medium for tutoring, especially the videos on YouTube.

Wazzak
Last edited on
I've opted for C++ Primer (5th Edition) and Wingw for the compiler.
If anyone can see any potential problem's with using these (i.e. syntax) please let me know.
Thank's for all your help.
Videos are how I got started, without them I wouldn't be programming now, they are okay but they only teach you basic syntax and the authors usually have bad habits. alternatively if you want to learn python Udacity is a great choice, or if you want to learn programming theory coursera is another option.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.