cin.getline and cin behave strangely. Problem with buffer?

Hello, i am messing around with operations on strings using pointers (i am not sure about translation. I mean char*). I recreated strcpy without problem. It works great, without any bugs, The "form" asking about strings looks like this:

char s1[10], s2[40];
cout << "First string "; 
cin.getline(s1,10);
cout << "Second string ";
cin.getline(s2,40);
m_strcpy(s2,s1)     // my strcpy, it works great
cout<<"New string: " << s2;
getch();

First string First
Second string Second
New string Firstd

It is actually a function implemented in bigger program, which let me choose (using arrow keys and enter), what operation i want to do at the moment. I can enter this function as many times as i want, it works perfectly. However, there is other function, that works terrible. Firstly, this is how it looks:

char s1[10]={' '}, s2[40]={' '};    //this initializing prevents errors occuring, when new string is longer than second
unsigned bit;
cout << "First string "; 
cin.getline(s1,10);
cout << "Second string ";
cin.getline(s2,40);
cout << "From which char should i start? "
cin << bit;
m_strpcpy(s2,ls1,bit)     // my strpcpy, it starts copying after (p-1)th char
cout<<"New string: " << s2;
getch();

Output after first running:
First string First
Second string Second
From which char should i start? 3
New string SeFirst

And then, if i run this function another time (simply by pressing enter once, becouse this option is highlighted in menu after function ends) output looks like:

First string
Second string Whatever
From which char should i start? 20
New string Whatever

It's like there are leftovers in buffer. This damn "\n" char, which automatically confirm cin.getline. I'm going to add, that, when i launch first function after launching second, it also crashes. On the other hand, if i launch second, after i had launch first, it works great. I was trying to add cin.ignore(), cin.ignore(INT_MAX,'\n') in few different places, but it ain't the way. In described situations, program works normally, so cin.ignore is not the anwser...
Looks like your strcpy function does not set the null terminator correctly.
Do you mean the second (strpcpy) function? It sees everything correctly. The problem might be cin >> bit line. When i replaced it with bit = 3, it worked great. Is there a problem with cin then?
I think that was a reference to this,
New string Firstd
where instead of the null terminator for string "first", there is instead the character 'd'.

As to the cin problem, this may help:
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/88034/#msg473039
Chervil, i send thanks to you and bless your family :) It should be like this:
	cin >> bit;
	cin.sync();

Could you explain me, why is this happening with cin, and not with cin.getline? I would like to know the difference between them. I know, that cin reads until it sees blank sign (i don't know, if it is correct name. I mean space or newline) and cin.getline reads until it meets newline. So, i suspect that cin.getline reads also this newline sign, when cin ignores it and leave it in buffer, right?
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.