BigInt class questions part I

Ok so here is a snippet of the code my question is how do i return the value i am adding two int array together inside this method at least this is where i think it should happen. it has been over a year sense any programming classes first one back so any light on the subject wold be great,I am still pretty new at this so explicit explanation would be great,thanks

[code][code]
BigInt BigInt::add(const BigInt& rightOperand) const {
BigInt objToReturn;
//Do add logic here
( this is where i have my array of ints adding )
I dont know why this code below is here except for explanation of the two arrays??

//num1 is the this object
cout << this->numArr[99];
//num2 is the rightOperand object
cout << rightOperand.numArr[99];
when I am done how do i return my temp_arr to the oobjToReturn?
return objToReturn;
so why do you want to return a new value? why not apply the add operation on the current object and return nothing/void?

cout << this->numArr[99];
Are you aware that this will output the 100th element, not the whole array

Edit: and remove the const after add, it doesn't make sense
Last edited on
coder777 wrote:
so why do you want to return a new value? why not apply the add operation on the current object and return nothing/void?

Because that's the way an add operation works. The name isn't addEqual.

and remove the const after add, it doesn't make sense

Yes it does.
this was code that was given to us by the instructor, I realize the array dose not print out like it is. but how do I get my int array to load into the object to get it to return??? coder777 it is a const on the out side to protect the num array being passed in right or am I thinking wrong???
well, ok, const...

what you need to do is assign this to objToReturn:

objToReturn = *this;

to perform the addition you might store each digit in its own field of the array.
You need another variable that tells how many digits are stored.
I suggest that you store the least significant digit first.
so use a loop to add each field. if > 9 -> carry to next field
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.