"Hello world" - yeah I know but I just started...

Hi guys...

Just bought a book by Mike McGrath - C++ Programming in Easy Steps 3rd edition (probs a little out of date!) to make a start in learning C++, as I'm looking to get into the games industry and most engines seem to be C++ (I'm learning Digital arts and this is just to boost my CV! Plus I'm interested in Linux too so that's why I'm not using visual c++ express either)

I'm using the latest MinGW compiler as advised in the book and I don;t seem to be getting an output for the following code:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std ;

//A C++ Program to Output a greeting

int main()
	cout << "Hello World!" << endl ;
	return 0 ;

it seems to work but doesn't display anything in the cmd window...

If anyone could explain why this isn't displaying anything it would help, and I don't wanna sound like an arse or anything but if you're going to chuck a load of code at me please could you explain what it does cause I have a tendancy to just chuck things in without understanding what they do...

Ta peeps!
Does cmd open at all?

If not, try;
cin.ignore(80, '\n');
And it'll stop there until you press Enter.
sorry... forgot to add that I'm running the file from cmd

..\C++>C++ hello.cpp

is basically what it's displaying
Cheers for the reply Splux

I added in the code you put up on line 9, between cout and return...

still just comes back with no output... :(

when I tried running the exe it automatically creates the cmd window... well... A window pops up and closes too fast to see what's in it...
See the reference http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/1988/
@Vlad from Moscow.... I appreciate the help but I'm totally confused by that thread... I've not done any kind of programming before and I feel that whole thread is lost on me.... other than to avoid using system in anything.... which i tried anyway and got error: 'system' was not declared in this scope

Also forgot to add... the book is telling me to type the code into a notepad doc (currently using win7... meh...) and save as hello.cpp... running with the command c++ hello.cpp in the cmd
Last edited on
Step 1. Build hello (compile and link hello.cpp to produce the excecutable hello)
Step 2. Run hello
> g++ -std=c++11 -Wall -pedantic-errors -o hello hello.cpp 
> ./hello

or for executable hello.exe:
> g++ -std=c++11 -Wall -pedantic-errors -o hello.exe hello.cpp 
> ./hello.exe

Last edited on

that seemed to work...

What does any of it mean?

Doh.... never tried running the executable from the cmd... works fine!

Sorry guys but thanks for all the help! I got there in the end!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.