Text file input question

I have a text file im supposed to use for input. Each line looks like the following:

+ 23 34
- 16 8
% 50 32

I am supposed to take each line and perform the indicated action with the numbers. Currently my program reads the symbol into a character variable and calls a function that is supposed to do the operation with the numbers.

I am trying to read each number into an individual variable but when i do a cin with the text file the int variable reads both numbers as though they were a single one. I have commented the line that does this. (the 23 34 is stored in the int as 2334 as opposed to 23 which is what i want)

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

void doAddition(ifstream &inFile);

char ch;
int num1=0, num2=0;

int main()
{       //open the text file
	ifstream inFile;
	inFile.open( "math.txt" );

//error if the text file is not found
	if( inFile.fail() )
  	{
  		cout << "The math.txt input file failed to open";
  		exit(-1);
  	}

//read the first character on the line
	inFile >> ch;

//loop that enables the program to work with each line until the end of the file
	while ( inFile )
 	{  
                //switch statement to call each individual function based on the symbol
  		switch(ch)
		{
			case '+': doAddition(inFile); //call the addition function if the symbol is a + (other functions will be written later)
		}

}

return 0;
}

//addition function that takes the text file as it's argument
void doAddition( ifstream &inFile )
{
        //this is supposed to read the first number on the line
	inFile>> num1;	//this line reads both numbers on the line instead of the single number i want it to.   
	cout<< num1;	

}

Try changing line 49 to this:

cout<< num1 << endl;

You should see that it is in fact reading each value separately, but the while loop at line 29 repeatedly calls the function doAddition() until an inFile error occurs.
that worked. Turns out the loop was doing it for me. Let me try to finish the function
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.