create your own extension

closed account (28poGNh0)
Can anyone know How to create your own file extension like .something
Use the fstream header. The name of the file you create can have any extension you want. The program is what determines how to read/recognize the file according to its extension.
I know a little bit about custom extensions. For one, it's really easy to name a custom extension on Windows. If you were to open notepad, type some stuff, and click Save As, you can select the filetype to all, then in the filename, type ".something" at the end, and bam: custom extension.

But here's the catch, it's not unique.

Since all you did was put text into your file, notepad, or other word editors can easily open it up, even though it was named .something, because all it contains is text.

So how to create a "unique" file extension?

That is about the extent of my knowledge. I know that, using C++, you would have to open a file for writing in binary mode using 'ios_base::out | ios_base::binary'. You would then proceed to make a unique "bit-system" within your file, essentially, you would assign bits that make your file unique. But it's not just about setting bits, it goes way into stuff that I'm not familiar with, like hashes.

So, bottom line, as far as naming an extension, just create a file with that extension.
closed account (28poGNh0)
I think you'll notice if you create your own extension type that its extension does not deseaper so I think there a relationship between creating extension and the system

any help is appreciated thanks
Are you asking about the way the Windows operating system may hide the file extension?

That's a setting in the folder view options, I always set that "off" so that I can see what the file type really is.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.