LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9->CreateDevice(...) is failing

Pages: 12
I don't even have a graphics card

That might have been worth mentioning ;)

Anyhow, did you run dxDiag.exe? If you like we can trouble shoot some more. If you're willing to upload your project to dropbox as you said you would, then I can attempt to compile and run it. If I can successfully run the program, then that means your hardware is the culprit.
Maybe it would have been useful but I didn't think it'd matter as I've been running similar things before, I'm afraid I've not got my laptop with my at the moment but I will run the test as soon as possible...
Also I have uploaded to dropbox already and edited my last post with the link.

EDIT: It appears that dxDiag.exe does not exist, I believe it should be in this directory?
Program Files (x86)/Microsoft DirectX SDK/Utilities/bin/x86/
Last edited on
dxDiag.exe is located in Local Disk(C:) > Windows > System32
Not quite sure what information you're after so I just suppose i'll post it all in some fashion of order.

System > System Information:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 65-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 1545
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Versions 1.10 A14
Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
DirectX Versions: DirectX 11

Display > Device
Name: Mobile Intel (R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip Type: Mobile Intel (R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Total Memory: 1292 MB
Current Display Mode 1366x768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor

Display > Drivers
Main Driver: igdumd64.dll, igd10umd64.dll, igdumdx....
    (rest is unseen and the window can't resize)
Version: 8.15.10.1808
Date: 03/06/2009 03:16:48
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
DDI Version: 10
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

Display > DirectX Features
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

(I can't imagine anything from the sound or input tabs have anything to do with what I need at the moment)
Last edited on
Thanks for posting that info. Unfortunately, it was just a hunch I had, which turned out to be of no use.

Anyways, I've attempted to build and run your program, and it seems to work fine. The only notable things worth mentioning is that I'm greeted with a messagebox (titled "device caps", which turns out is not an error message (?)). The program draws a gray window (as expected (?)). There seem to be some problems with your key press callback, however. F11 seems to quickly flicker to and from fullscreen when it is either pressed or released, and ESC triggers a debug assertion.

In conclusion, I guess that means it's your hardware that's causing your original error.
Yeah the window should just be completely plain, and the "Device Caps" was a little check I put in (and forgot to take out) while I was having error...
If you take a look there's some commented code inside "Core_Direct3D.cpp" in the Initialise function, this is commented out to get it working and I'm just wondering why this part in particular was giving off errors when it's worked perfectly well before, and it's almost exactly what's in the tutorial I've been following.

I've fixed the Debug Assertion on exit (forgetting to free memory, easily fixed with a p_D3D->Release(); )

And the fullscreen thing appears to be working as intended (I'll find out more once something is actually rendered to screen) although I just need to add a little in the return from fullscreen which resizes the window back to its original size.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12