FTP

Hi!
I need to transfer files(mainly images) between 2 computers using their RAM with some kind of FTP. I'm using C++. I guess it's pretty a lot to explain so if you have a clear and detailed articles/videos on how to do that that would be very helpful, thanks!
Last edited on
thank you, where can I find an explanation for this from scratch? say i'm running this program where can I find the files that was transferred? I would prefer videos if you have, thanks again.
I really should leave this one alone, in all likelihood JLBorges has given you the answer you want and that is that. But because you typed
... some kind of FTP.
instead of explicitly saying that you want to use FTP (please be referring to SFTP if you're going across the internet) I'm left wondering if you already have the infrastructure for this setup? Have you looked at other protocols? What does the topology layout look like? Are we going across the internet with this?

Personally I like WebDAV for these types of things (file transfers I mean), you might chalk this up to me being a Microsoft guy. The management of it all just ties in so well with Explorer and everything else that I hardly find the need to look anywhere else. If you're doing transfers across a local intranet then there is no competition and most of the work is already done for you.

Have you asked if this is a use case where SOAP or WebSocket would be a better fit for? That way you won't have to waste your time screwing around with firewall settings and AV software.

I'll be straight with you OP, FTP needs to die and FTPS only sucks slightly less then it's predecessor. It had a good run but now it's time to move on.
First of all I need to do the file transfer through the internet sorry I forgot to mention this.
I'm very new at this subject so I'm searching right now for explanations about how these transactions happens and more important how to implement them into a c++ program.
any videos of these/web sites you know?
Thanks.
Video? You're learning to implement a protocol on a computer, not replacing the air filter in a car. Video is a terrible medium to learn programming from for a dozen reasons.

If this is anything more then academic then you should note that the example above isn't encrypted. If the data should be encrypted or if it's sensitive in anyway then let us know, I don't have a sample yet but I'll do some digging.
> First of all I need to do the file transfer through the internet sorry I forgot to mention this.

FTP is mainstream, and will continue to be mainstream for the foreseeable future. Unless the image files that you want to transfer contain classified data, vanilla FTP would be just dandy.

Simple introduction to network programming: http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/
Overview of FTP: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol
It's only for academic use..thank you!
closed account (1CfG1hU5)
www.ipswitch.com

may have a free limited edition version
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.