Visual Studio 2013 - Force C89

Is there a way I can force Visual Studio 2013 to only compile C89 compliant C?
> Is there a way I can force Visual Studio 2013 to only compile C89 compliant C?

No. There is no way to target a particular version of the standard.

Use version 17.0 (Visual Studio 2012) and compile with /TC to get C89 (without the C95 revision).

Version 18.0 (Visual Studio 2013) compiles C89 with the C99 subset required for C++11.

Consider switching to another compiler if you need "serious" C.
C is a third class citizen in the Microsoft kingdom; tolerated to the extent required to support C++.

Our immediate and long-term goal is to fully support the C subsets of ISO C++.
We recommend that C developers use the C++ compiler to compile C code (using /TP if the file is named something.c). This is the best choice for using Visual C++ to compile C code.
If you really need either of the following:
features in C95/C99/C11 that are not part of ISO C++; or
features in C that are in the C++ subset but without also enabling the writing of C++ code;
then we recommend that you consider using a different compiler such as Intel or gcc (short-term) and/or pressure your standards committee representatives to have ISO C++ include more of the C standard (longer-term).

Sutter http://herbsutter.com/2012/05/03/reader-qa-what-about-vc-and-c99/
@tmason I wasn't looking for a compiler (I'm using MSVC), I was just looking for a way to force a certain feature set. Thanks anyway though.

@JLBorges.
I often find myself accidentally using C99 features when I'd rather not, it's sad that I can't use a certain version of the C standard. I guess I'll have to just deal with it then. I'd rather not lose MS's powerful debugger.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.
Last edited on
The llvm toolchain can be used from Visual Studio; it integrates quite well with the Visual Studio debugger.
http://llvm.org/builds/

Microsoftisms extensions -fms-extensions are enabled by default; so you may want to turn them off.

Setting these additional options in Visual studio would enforce strict C89 conformance:
-std=c89 -fno-ms-extensions -Wall -Wextra -pedantic-errors
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.