Sorting integers without arrays

Hello, thanks for reading.

I have been tasked with sorting a text file with some numbers in it. For example, there can be 5 numbers in it: 1,2,3, 4, and 5. However, they are out of order (3,2,4,1 and 5). I need the numbers in numerical order. How can you sort the numbers into a new file?

Bubblesorting? I can not use arrays in this program. I have already determined the minimum number in the file.

Can you please send me in the right direction?

Thank you.
Can you provide me with a little understanding on that? Isn't merge sorting involve arrays?
I can not use arrays. Or are you referring to the underlying logic of it all?
This is an external merge sort. Instead of arrays, we use three additional files for temporary storage.
A is our original file to be sorted, B, C, and D are the three additional files .

Here we start with an initial run of two numbers. And we never have to hold more that two numbers in memory.
Instead of starting with very short runs, usually a hybrid algorithm is used, where the initial pass will read many records into memory, do an internal sort to create a long run, and then distribute those long runs onto the output set. The step avoids many early passes. For example, an internal sort of 1024 records will save 9 passes. - wiki

Pass 1. Merge pairs of records from A; writing two-record sublists alternately to C and D.

Say A contains 3,2,6,4,1,8,5,7.

Read the first pair of integers from A (3,2), write them into C in order (2,3)
Read the next pair of integers from A (6,4), write them into D in order (4,6)
Read the third pair of integers from A (1,8), write them into C in order (1,8)
Read the next pair of integers from A (5,7), write them into D in order (5,7)

At the end of this step,
C contains 2,3 1,8
D contains 4,6 5,7

Pass 2. Merge two-record sublists from C and D into four-record sublists; writing these alternately to A and B.

Merge (2,3) from C and (4,6) from D into A (2,3,4,6)
Merge (1,8) from C and (5,7) from D into B (1,5,7,8)

Pass 3. Merge four-record sublists from A and B into eight-record sublists; writing these alternately to C and D

Merge (2,3,4,6) from A and (1,5,7,8) from B into C (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

In this small example, we have only eight numbers and this merge completes the sort

If we had more numbers:
4. Repeat until you have one list containing all the data, sorted --- in log2(n) passes.
Last edited on
This makes much sense and I appreciate it very much.

How do you read in the file in pairs? From my current knowledge, I only know how to read in the all numbers in file. How do you read partially from the text file?
> How do you read in the file in pairs?

Something like this:
// Pass 1. Merge pairs of records from A; writing two-record sublists alternately to C and D.
std::ifstream A( "file_a.txt" ) ;
std::ofstream C( "file_c.txt" ) ;
std::ofstream D( "file_d.txt" ) ;

bool to_c = true ;
int first, second ;

while( A >> first ) // read the first number of the pair
{
    std::ostream& out_file =  to_c ? C : D ;

if( A >> second ) // read the second number of the pair
    {
        out_file << std::min(first,second) << '\n' << std::max(first,second) ;
        to_c = !to_c ; // switch the output file after every pair