How do I work with pointers here?

I'm trying to change my pointer to point to the address of x. So that it would work like it would if that commented piece was used.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int change(int *p, int a)
{
    p = &a;
}

int main()
{
    int x = 13;
    int * t = nullptr;

change(t, x);
    //t = &x;

cout << *t;
}
Pass a by reference. Also change doesn't return anything so it should be void.
Last edited on
So this is the only way to do this? Can you explain why the double pointer is necessary?

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void change(int **p, int a)
{
    *p = &a;
}

int main()
{
    int x = 13;
    int * t = nullptr;

change(&t, x);
    //t = &x;
    cout << *t;
}
Last edited on
You still need to change a so that it is passed by reference, but the idea here is that you want to avoid the creation of temporary variables. Passing a pointer to t lets you modify t directly (set what it points to, e.t.c.) and passing a by reference is the same idea.
Btw, this is the correct prototype
void change(int** p, int& a)
int *p - or, as I prefer to write it, int* p - is a variable like any other. It's a variable whose type is "pointer to int". It has a value, and that value is a memory address.

If you pass that variable into a function, than it follows the same rules as any other variable - it is passed in by value. That means that, while the value of p might be changed inside the function, the value of t outside the function is not changed.

If you want to change the value of p in such a way that it changes the value of the variable in the calling code, you need to pass by reference - just like you would any other variable.
Last edited on
shadowmouse wrote:
Btw, this is the correct prototype
Um, what? Why are you passing a reference to a? There's no need for that at all. The function change() isn't trying to change the value of a.

EDIT: I was talking nonsense.
Last edited on
Otherwise, the pointer is pointing to the passed by value version of a, which goes out of scope at the end of the function. Isn't it?
Last edited on
D'oh! You're right - my apologies. I didn't read the OP's code carefuly enough.

A more intuitive thing to do, IMHO, would be to pass in the value that you want to assign to p, i.e. the address of a:

void change(int **p, int* const a)
{
    *p = a;
}

but this is quibbling over design details :)
Last edited on
Then again, it still works in the shell if you don't so I'm confused here.
shadowmouse wrote:
Then again, it still works in the shell if you don't so I'm confused here.

Probably compiler optimization.
If I don't pass int a as a reference does that mean that p is pointing to "garbage" by the end of the function?

And I don't know the correct term there. I've been learning a lot of java lately and I just took that word from there.

Last edited on
Basically, yes (although it's technically only once the function has finished, not just at the end). Unless the compiler does some weird optimisation, but don't rely on that.
Alright, I understand it now. Thanks for the help.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.