Link error(PPP using C++, Chapter 12)

Hi, I'm reading Bjarne Stroustrup's "Programming Principles and Practice Using C++" and I got a problem in Chapter 12. I keep getting "unresolved external symbol" error. The following is the code.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include"code\Simple_window.h"
#include"code\Graph.h"
int main()
{
using namespace Graph_lib;
Point tl(100, 100);
Simple_window win(tl, 600, 400, "Canvas");
Graph_lib::Polygon poly;
poly.add(Point(300, 200));
poly.add(Point(350, 100));
poly.add(Point(400, 200));
poly.set_color(Color::red);
win.attach(poly);
win.wait_for_button();
}

I'm using Visual Studio 2013, and I've downloaded the FLTK from http://fltk.org.
The only difference is that I downloaded the latest version 1.3.3 instead of version 1.1 on the book. I think it doesn't matter and won't lead to any trouble. I think I have installed the FLTK properly for the "demo" project attacted to FLTK runs well and I copy some code from Internet to test, they compile and run,too. As for the Header files and cpp source files written by the author, I download them from his website and put them together in a document named "code" as you can see in my code above. I think I put "code" document in the correct place because my IDE didn't tell me he couldn't find those Header file. By the way, I created a "Win32 project", not a "Win32 Console Application". I don't know if I created a correct project.

The errors IDE tells me is the following:

Warning 1 warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\LINK Win32Project1

Error 4 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall Graph_lib::Window::attach(class Graph_lib::Widget &)" (?attach@Window@Graph_lib@@QAEXAAVWidget@2@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall Simple_window::Simple_window(struct Graph_lib::Point,int,int,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (??0Simple_window@@QAE@UPoint@Graph_lib@@HHABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 3 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall Graph_lib::Window::attach(class Graph_lib::Shape &)" (?attach@Window@Graph_lib@@QAEXAAVShape@2@@Z) referenced in function _main C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 10 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: void __thiscall Graph_lib::Polygon::add(struct Graph_lib::Point)" (?add@Polygon@Graph_lib@@QAEXUPoint@2@@Z) referenced in function _main C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall Graph_lib::Window::Window(struct Graph_lib::Point,int,int,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (??0Window@Graph_lib@@QAE@UPoint@1@HHABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z) referenced in function "public: __thiscall Simple_window::Simple_window(struct Graph_lib::Point,int,int,class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &)" (??0Simple_window@@QAE@UPoint@Graph_lib@@HHABV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@Z) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 7 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Shape::move(int,int)" (?move@Shape@Graph_lib@@UAEXHH@Z) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 11 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Polygon::draw_lines(void)const " (?draw_lines@Polygon@Graph_lib@@UBEXXZ) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 8 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Open_polyline::draw_lines(void)const " (?draw_lines@Open_polyline@Graph_lib@@UBEXXZ) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 9 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Closed_polyline::draw_lines(void)const " (?draw_lines@Closed_polyline@Graph_lib@@UBEXXZ) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 12 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Button::attach(class Graph_lib::Window &)" (?attach@Button@Graph_lib@@UAEXAAVWindow@2@@Z) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 5 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Window::draw(void)" (?draw@Window@Graph_lib@@MAEXXZ) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

Error 6 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "protected: virtual void __thiscall Graph_lib::Shape::draw_lines(void)const " (?draw_lines@Shape@Graph_lib@@MBEXXZ) C:\Users\Admin\documents\visual studio 2013\Projects\Win32Project1\Win32Project1\Win32Project1.obj Win32Project1

I'm really sorry that I took a screenshot of the errors but I don't know how to upload it in this forum and I don't know how to edit code on the forum as well so that it may be a little hard for you to read my errors. I'll appreciate it if anyone can teach me how to do this. And more importantly, any and all help is appreciated. I spent all my weekend google how to solve my problem but it didn't work, and I can't go on reading the book if it's not solved.
Last edited on
Did you add the appropriate .cpp files to your project. I believe that there should be a Graph.cpp and Simple_window.cpp. You may want to check out the book's web site for more information.
I've added all files I'm able to find on the website to my project, including Graph.h and Graph.cpp, Simple_window.h and .cpp, Window.h and Window.cpp, GUI.h and GUI.cpp, fltk.h, and Point.h. It doesn't work.
JLBorges, thanks for your wibsite. Now I have at least one program that runs correctly. And thanks for whoever offered to help me.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.