Fastest Way to Initialize Dynamic Array

I recently came across some posts about initializing arrays to 0 in C++. It seems that the recommended practice is to use code similar to the following:

char buffer[32] = { 0 };
char buffer[32] = {};

That got me wondering how it would work with dynamic arrays, specifically, of type double.

Say a C++ program accepts user input for the length, N, of an array, D1DArray, which will be created later dynamically. The array elements will all be assigned the value 0.0 at some point--but not at declaration. So the code snippets above would not be applicable. Is there a method comparably elegant to either of the methods above that assigns all elements of a dynamically-created array to 0.0? Here is what I have done so far (a manual assignment):

. . .

#include <vector>

. . .

int i, N;
vector<double> D1DArray;  // Dynamic array of one dimension

. . .

cin >> N;  //Input the size of the array to be created from the user

. . .

try { // Resize D1DArray array to its desired size
D1DArray.resize(N);
}

catch (bad_alloc& xa) {
cerr << "In catch block for resizing D1DArray array: " << xa.what() << "\n";
	return 0;
}

for (i = 0; i < N; ++i)  // Initialize all D1DArray elements to 0.0
  D1DArray[i] = 0.0;

. . .

What is the "best practices" method of doing this?

Last edited on
Possibly a range based for loop?

for( double& d : D1DArray ) d = 0.0;

Copy assignment with fill constructor?

D1DArray = vector<double>( N, 0.0 );

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/vector/vector/vector/
Last edited on
> how it would work with dynamic arrays, specifically, of type double.

{
    double* p1 = new double[5] {} ; // initialise to all zeroes
    double* p2 = new double[5] { 1.7, 0.4, 6.2, -9.3, 8.4 } ; // initialise with braced-init-list
    std::unique_ptr< double[] > p3( new double[5] { 1.7, 0.4, 6.2 } ) ;
    // ...
    delete[] p1 ;
    delete[] p2 ;
}
Thanks for the feedback.

Here is one of the articles I read:

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2016/07/17/zeroing-memory-is-hard-vc-2015-arrays/

It indicates that the more elegant way is to use the second method:
char buffer[32] = {};