If a class Derived inherits publicly from a class Base, is it always true that C style cast is going to work?

Hi,

Yes, I know C style casts are bad news, but I am trying to pinpoint the only places where they can be used without danger...

I am proposing the following to see where the standard stands on. First, assume we have monomorphic classes as follows:

namespace MonoMorphicSample
{
class Base
{
};
class Derived : public Base
{
};
void Call( Base* pBase)
{
    // assume we know pBase points to a Derived... then we can (??) do this:
    Derived* pDer = (Derived*)pBase;
    // and use pDer here
    // .....
}
}

Second, say we have the same but with polymorphic classes:

namespace PolyMorphicSample
{
class Base
{
public:
    virtual ~Base() = default;
};
class Derived : public Base
{
public:
    virtual ~Derived() = default;
};
void Call( Base* pBase)
{
    // assume we know pBase points to a Derived... then we can (??) do this:
    Derived* pDer = (Derived*)pBase;
    // and use pDer here
    // .....
}
}

Are the 2 examples ALWAYS correct? (i.e. can we in these cases use the C style cast without problem?)?

NOTE: if Derived inherited from more than one class, then obviously non of these cases would work -- not good idea to use C style cast when in multiple inheritance..

Thanks

Juan Dent
Last edited on
What is troublesome is the line:

// assume we know pBase points to a Derived...

There is no way to know whether the pointer passed into the function is a Derived* or a Base* (or a pointer to some other class also derived from Base). If you know that the pointer is a pointer to Derived, then why not make the argument a Derived*?

If you want to downcast from Base* to Derived*, use

Derived* pDer = dynamic_cast<Derived*> pBase;

If pDer ends up non-NULL, then pBase is pointing to a Derived object. Otherwise, pDer will come up NULL.

edit: non-NULL, not non-void
Last edited on
Yes I know this. But actually, even if we know pBase points to a pDerived, then if the definition of Derived is not available where the C Style cast is made, then the cast will be wrong at least when Derived has more than one superclass and the first superclass is a class other than Base.

This was my point.

As far as I can tell, if Derived only has one superclass or has Base as the first superclass then the C style cast will work (even though static_cast is safer).

Regards,
Juan
Yes, I know C style casts are bad news, but I am trying to pinpoint the only places where they can be used without danger...

IMO any cast can never be used without danger, but C++ casts are much safer than the C cast, that is why C++ casts were implemented. C style casts are not type safe and by using them you can create a cast that compiles but fails to work as expected. Don't forget that there are more C++ style casts other than static_cast.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.