What is better: a return by value or by constant reference?

Hi,

Yes, a silly question - sorry about that...

I just must be sure I am choosing the most efficient implementation.

Say I have a class:

class StatementLine
{
private:
	const std::string m_account;
public:
	// provide accesors to fields
	const std::string getAccount() const noexcept { return m_account; }
};

Which is fastest? The implementation above or the following:

const std::string& getAccount() const noexcept { return m_account; }

That's it!

I feel silly asking this...

Regards,
Juan Dent
If the caller does something like line.getAccount().c_str() or

auto &account = line.getAccount();
a constant reference will be faster, unless the member is an instance of a class that's smart enough to have COW semantics (e.g. QString).

Therefore, as a rule of thumb, returning const T & is preferable.
Thanks helios!!
> What is better: a return by value or by constant reference?

Depends on the context.
Returning a reference has the drawback of exposing the implementation in the guise of an interface.

struct account 
{
    virtual ~account() ;

// this is bad: the interface admits only one kind of implementation.
    // for instance, this interface would break if the name of the account is looked up from a database
    virtual const std::string& name() const noexcept = 0 ;
};

As an aside:
const std::string getAccount() const noexcept { return m_account; } is a technical error for two reasons.
a. std::string is not nothrow_copy_constructible.
b. There is no good reason to insist (with a const-qualified return type) that the caller of the function will not be allowed to call non-const member functions on the returned value.

As another aside:
In general, try to avoid the mad cow disease exhibited by QString.

If the standard allowed QString like cow implementations of std::basic_string, this would engender undefined behaviour.
void foo( std::string str ) // 
{
    const char* p = str.data() ;

{
        std::string mad_cow(str) ;

char x = str[0] ;
        // if a mad-cow implementation of std::string was allowed, 
        // this would invalidate all iterators, pointers and references
        // ...
    }

// use p eg.
    std::puts(p) ; // and this would engender undefined behaviour
}

Re. cow performance:
Dated (1999, when the then standard allowed mad-cow implementations of std::basic_string ), but still relevant:
Optimizations That Aren't...' http://www.gotw.ca/publications/optimizations.htm
If it's absolutely necessary for the API to not break, it's possible to change the implementation of account::name() through a pimpl and perhaps TLS. It won't be pretty, but existing code need not break.

I found the code for that COW article: http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/045code.zip
It just needed to be tweaked a little bit to build on VS 2015. I find it interesting that I can't make the results budge no matter how high I crank the string size, even though I can see the program taking longer. I'm going to play around with it to see what exactly it's measuring.

EDIT: Here are my results. I tested in x86-64 using MSVC 14.0, with optimizations turned on, on an Ivy Bridge Core i5 3570.
1. With one exception, at small string sizes my results match those in http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/045.htm
2. COW_AtomicInt is, overall, the fastest of the COW implementations. When it loses to COW_AtomicInt2, it only loses by a tiny bit (10-20%).
3. At large string sizes (10k), COW is much faster than Plain for some operations, and somewhat slower for others. I could not test Plain_FastAlloc because it crashes for large string sizes. However, in my opinion at large string sizes the problem is not allocation, but copying.
4. Here's how COW compares with Plain:
4.a. Simple const copy: COW is between 4 and 28 times faster. Oddly, when I multiplied the iterations by 10, Plain's time went up by 10x, but COW's only went up by 2.62x. I'm guessing it's playing better with the cache. Tipping point: 1 character.
4.b. Append: Plain is 2.77 times faster.
4.c. const operator[](): COW is approximately infinitely slower (COW's time scales with iteration count, but Plain's time doesn't). I imagine this is caused by atomic operations being much slower.
4.d. Mutating copy (66%): COW is about 4 times faster. Tipping point: ~500 characters.
4.e. Mutating copy (50%): COW is 4.15 times faster. Tipping point: ~500 character.

In conclusion: it's worthwhile to use COW if you need to manipulate large buffers in general (an example that comes to mind from experience is bitmaps), especially if you need to pass them around and don't want to manually keep track of who might need write access. I imagine there should be a simple way to fix the performance issue of const operator[](), but I haven't looked into it.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.