how would I find the level of the item in a search binary tree. Any idea. Thanks

template <typename T>
int BST<T>::recursive_level(BSTNode *curr, const T& item) const
{
    int level = 0;

if (curr == NULL)
    {
        return -1;
    }

if (curr->data < item)
    {
        level += recursive_level(curr->right, item);
    }
    if (curr->data > item)
    {
        level += recursive_level(curr->left, item);
    }
    if(curr->data == item)
    {
        return 1;
    }
    return level;
}
Last edited on
Yes, we can see what the code is doing. But it's not clear what your question is.

hi KBW,
What my question is How would I find the level of the item in a binary search tree?
Suppose I have to tree like this.

78                  198
        76           99        187     200

If i want to know what is the level of the item 198 ?  The level should be 1. If the item is 200,, the level should be 0, how would I do i? I've been trying to solve for this almost 4 hours now. 
Last edited on
100 is at level 1, 198 at level 2 and 200 at level 3.

The code already does this (using recursion). Is the problem that you don't understand how the code works?
if your tree is built off a vector underneath, it should just be a direct computation from the index "pointer" for the item.
You could use bfs to traverse the tree while keeping an array with every number's level and it's going to be the parent level + 1

So in your tree:
you'd have 100 set to level 0
and what i'll say is what bfs is going to do basically:
children of 100 are 78 and 198 so we set them both to level of 100(parent) +1 so both of them are going to be at level 1
now consider each of 78 and 198 they have 2 children each so basically, any of their children will have level 2 because each of them has the "parent+1" formula for their levels and their parents are both at level 1.

you can argue that i set 100 to level 0 well people might set it to 1 but it makes no sense to have the root set as level 1 although some people prefer to have it at 1.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.