Implicitly converting int to std::vector<>::size_type

Hi all,

I'm writing my own code for data manipulation on text files, where data are arranged as columns of (floating-point) numbers; I come across a class DataColumn which basically encapsulates a std::vector<double> for data storage. To make the code more flexible I'm using std::vector<>::size_type instead of ints or unsigneds.

One of the constructors looks like this:
DataColumn( std::vector<double>::size_type size );
where size defines the size of the std::vector in the private field.

Somewhere else in my program (e.g. in main()), I plan to do something like
DataColumn myCol(10);
The compiler must complain, as it doesn't know what to do with DataColumn(int).

But I learnt that for the STL std::vector, there is implicit conversion for the constructor
explicit vector ( size_type n, /*blahblahblah*/ );
so I can do
std::vector<double> myVec(3);.

---
One way to "teach" the compiler is defining my own DataColumn::DataColumn(int) which uses DataColumn::DataColumn(size_type) with a type cast. But this is cumbersome, and it pours type casts everywhere in my code...

After some googling I found out that (http://www.glenmccl.com/ansi_033.htm) Bjarne Stroustrup did something extraordinary in the standard library as the workaround.
Without worrying about the details in the library, are there any simpler ways to "teach" the compiler?

Also, I don't see defining my own, say, my_size_type class which contains an implicit constructor plausible as it only carries the problem to another one: undefined actions like std::vector<double>(my_size_type).

Thanks in advance.

[EDITED]
I also noticed a similar thread (http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/22570/), but it is not exactly asking for such solution.
Last edited on
The compiler must complain
Does it? I don't think so..
Notice that size_type is typedefed as some basic type, like unsigned long. Some conversions are done by C++ implicitly and conversions between basic types include those. Sadly, I can't quote the standard exactly as I don't have it on my PC right now..
Thanks for pointing that out!

Silly me, it happens that in some other places in the code, some r-values of ints are being passed into the constructor. At least I have made one thing clear: it is the literals that are implicitly converted.
No, it sounds like you're still misunderstanding.
You can do
int i = ...;
unsigned j = i;
//and
float f = j;
//and
void foo(unsigned long);
foo(i);
//and even
struct Foo{
   Foo(short){...}
};
Foo myfoo = i;

And somewhere in <vector> there is a line typedef unsigned int size_type; so you can do all those things with size type too. (Except you can't do vector<int> vec = 5; because that constructor has been declared explicit).
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.