Execution error

Hi,

I'm getting the following error when running a c++ code:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
what(): basic_string::_S_create

My code is too large to put here (3319 lines) and I have no idea what's causing this. I'll wait for your reply to guide me about what I have to do.

If it helps, I'll put here the thing I think can be related with the error, a function declaration with too much arguments:

void getCovariance(std::vector<double>& sigx1vec,std::vector<double>& sigx2vec,std::vector<double>& sigx3vec,std::vector<double>& sigy1vec, std::vector<double>& sigy2vec,std::vector<double>& sigy3vec,std::vector<double>& cov1vec,std::vector<double>& cov2vec,std::vector<double>& cov3vec,std::string& tag,const unsigned int& n,double& x1min,double& x1max,unsigned short& x2min,unsigned short& x2max,double& x3min,double& x3max,double& x4min,double& x4max,double& x5min,double& x5max,double& x6min,double& x6max,double& x7min,double& x7max,double& x8min,double& x8max,TTree *obj, Int_t& n_obj, Myclass *myObject, double& var1min,unsigned short& var2min,double& var3max,double& var4min,double& var5min,double& var6max,double& var7max,double& var8min)                           

The program "ends" while executing this function.

Thank you in advance.
Whilst that function is in serious need of rewriting, you've probably got a string of bad size hanging around. Possibly you've tried to make one simply too large.

Do you not have a debugger you can run this under? It'll give you the exact line causing the problem and show you the function calls causing it.

holyshitmygawdpants

record for most parameters in a function? a get function at that!
Whilst that function is in serious need of rewriting,

Yes, you are right! But before rewriting all the function I searched the internet to figure out if the problem was related with the number of arguments in the function definition, and I found that c++ supports up to 256 parameters (I don't know if I can link this part of documentation here because it's an external website).

you've probably got a string of bad size hanging around. Possibly you've tried to make one simply too large.

You are right again, it involves strings. The problem is that I was wrongly using the function string::compare. I'll put here what happened (it can help people with same error):

wrong
std::string mystr = "s1" ;

mystr.compare("s2") ;

right
std::string anotherstring = "s2" ;

mystr.compare(anotherstring) ;

Do you not have a debugger you can run this under? It'll give you the exact line causing the problem and show you the function calls causing it.

Unfortunately I don't have a debugger like gdb because of the kind of environment that I'm using.

Thank you all.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)

mystr.compare( "s2" ) ;

==

mystr.compare( std::string( "s2" ) ) ;

==

//or
//std::string anotherstring = std::string( "s2" );
//or
//std::string anotherstring( "s2" );

They all do the nearly identically the same thing. So how exactly is it wrong ?
Last edited on
if s2 is a variable, then he used it in a string, in which case it wouldn't use it as a variable

mystr.compare( "s2" ) ; // string is "s2" 

!=

//s2 declared and defined somewhere...

mystr.compare(s2 ) ; // string is the value of the variable s2 
Last edited on
xerzi, what I mean in that code is exactly what Zephilinox said. It's different if we pass to function string::compare a string by value rather than by reference. The definitions of string::compare are (cpp reference):

int compare ( const string& str ) const;
int compare ( const char* s ) const;
int compare ( size_t pos1, size_t n1, const string& str ) const;
int compare ( size_t pos1, size_t n1, const char* s) const;
int compare ( size_t pos1, size_t n1, const string& str, size_t pos2, size_t n2 ) const;
int compare ( size_t pos1, size_t n1, const char* s, size_t n2) const;

I think the correct way is to pass a string by reference (although I tried to pass a string by value and it worked fine outside the environment I said in my first post).

passing argument by value (I tried it in a tiny c++ code and it worked, although I think it's wrong)

mystr.compare("s2") ;

passing argument by reference (obeys function definition)

Sincerely I don't know if it's correct to pass a string by value. If it follows, the error that I got can be a bug of the framework I 'm using.
mystr.compare("s2") ; executes int compare ( const char* s ) const;
That is not the error, you didn't fix it.

¿Why don't just use == ?

Unfortunately I don't have a debugger like gdb because of the kind of environment that I'm using.
That's simple, change your environment.
That is not the error, you didn't fix it.

Well, I didn't know that this implementation is valid (now I know, thanks!). In my case, I changed the

mystr.compare("s2") ; // int compare ( const char* s ) const; , as you said

by

mystr.compare(anotherstring) ; // int compare ( const string& str ) const;

and the error message disappeared. In this case, the error probably (almost surely) come from the environment that I'm using, and not from the way I was using the function.

That's simple, change your environment.

I can't. It's an integrated framework used in a physics software that I have to use. There's no way to avoid it.

I think I found the error, and it can be related with this (char pointer). I defined a function like this:

std::string tCombination ;
void setCombination(std::string combination){
   tCombination=combination; // tCombination is a member of the same class as setCombination, global scope
} 

but I was using that function like this:

setCombination("comb1") ;

If we look at your post, I think I was passing a char pointer instead of a string object.
A char pointer will be converted to a string object.
The convertion could fail, by instance if there is no terminating character or if you've got no memory.
The convertion could fail, by instance if there is no terminating character or if you've got no memory.

I changed the code. Now it looks like this:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64bit machine
std::string comb1("comb1");
setCombination(comb1) ;

Ok. I'm running void setCombination(std::string combination) on a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64bit machine and storing tCombination in a file (specific file to store data). The error appears when I execute the following function (Debian Linux 32bit machine) that reads that content, like this:

std::string getCombination(){return tCombination;}

Debian Linux 32bit machine
std::string tCombination = getCombination() ;
std::string var("comb1") ;

tCombination.compare(var) //error

const char *tCombinatioN =  tCombination.c_str() ;
const char *vaR = var.c_str() ;

strcmp(tCombinatioN,vaR) //works fine 

The problem with memory occurs because I'm running portions of code on different machines?
I said that because though that you were working with really low memory.
but that doesn't seem the case.

About your last post, I'm confused. ¿Are you working in a cluster?
Or you are saying that it works in 64 but not on 32.

¿Could you upload your code to github?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.