Help with Turbo C++ 4.5

I have a C++ competition on 19 October where I'll have to probably work on Turbo C++ 4.5. It's an ancient compiler and is non-standard, so I don't know which features of the standard library it doesn't have. If you know anything which might be useful, please tell.

At present I am using Visual C++ 2008 Express on 64-bit Windows 7. I tried running TC++4.5 on my computer but it says that the program is 'incompatible with this version of windows'. A year ago, I had 32-bit windows XP and I tried TC on it. I could compile code. But I couldn't figure out how to run code line-by-line or jump to a particular line.

I'm a XIIth class student in Delhi and the CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) says that Turbo C++ is 'standard'. Hence, it is used in inter-school competitions. But my school's computers have Visual C++ 6.0 on them. As I 'learn by doing', I don't know which features are supported in Turbo C++.
You'll need Turbo Debugger (td32) to debug your app. In it's day, Turbo Debugger was the best debugger around. It ought to be on the 4.5 CD.

As for the command line, it's the same for pretty much all turbo/borland C/C++ versions. So there ought to be published docs around.

Versions 4 and 5 are for WIN32. You should realise this stuff was release circa '95 for Windows NT. You shouldn't expect this to work on WIN64.
Get a program called "DosBox" to run TCC.
http://www.dosbox.com/

The STL did not exist at the time that TCC was written, so you will have to spend some time figuring out how the ancients did it. (Just as you are doing. Kudos!)

The command line program should be named tcc.exe or bcc.exe or tcc45.exe or something like that. You'll find it in the main subdirectory. Keep in mind that command line arguments are not anything you are accustomed to, so make sure to read the docs. You could, if you want, just use the IDE to compile.

Good luck!
Please tell me that you are not talking about ACM-ICPC
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.