AVG potential hack

Okay ... I have just obtained the visual studio 10 IDE express edition after continuous urges to shift from the archaic VS6. I have always been reluctant about making a move and it didn't take long before my doubts came into play.

I use AVG anti-virus and after compiling my code (simple hello world), just to get a feel of how the IDE operates, ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. Well, there was the issue of the console window flashing, which I googled on and found a number of solutions. Among them, i opted for the cin.get(); statement (which has negative reviews and positive as well).

Immediately i build the program, a pop up comes up and tells me the executable file does not exist and cant be found. (well thats weird cause it DID exist when the console window flashed otherwise I'd have gotten the same message). 2 seconds later AVG pops up and warns me about a threat (the same file supposedly missing) and deems it a hack tool or something.

Isnt there a way I can keep my console window on to view the output or configure AVG to stop quarantining my .exe file (coz i assume thats wat is happening). If you ae going to suggest I run it from the command prompt, please be specific and just write down the steps i need to follow coz im a complete noob in console and dos-like stuff. otherwise, all I want is to write some code and get it to work coz a dead VS10 just isnt as cool as a functioning VS6
Last edited on
Immediately i build the program, a pop up comes up and tells me the executable file does not exist and cant be found.

This sometimes happens when the compiler is invoked too soon after the executable is run. (The compiler or OS or whatever thinks the executable is not accessible to be changed because it is running.) As for AVG.. never had a problem with it and VS.

Isnt there a way I can keep my console window on to view the output

If you choose the "Start without debugging" (ctrl+F5) option to start the program it shouldn't close the console window immediately when the program's done executing. Alternately, just click the last line of code in main and "Run to cursor"
Cire...well that could have been the problem but Ive been tracking the .exe file before and after that message and sure enough, it goes missing when i type in that cin.get(): statement and run it.

I heard that the ctrl+F5 does not work on vs10 so i didnt bother with it but let me see if that will work.
@Kis Vyra
I think you can enable all the keys you're used to from VC 6 by going to :
Debug->Options and Settings->Environment->Keyboard
and choosing Visual C++ 6 from the "Apply the following keyboard mapping scheme"
It doesnt work... ctl+F5 is as effective as boiling an egg in your hands when you have fever.

I have the screenshot just to demonstarte what Im talking about but i have no idea how to upload the darn! thing. Anyway, same story....compiles but flashes, ctrl+F5 doesnt help, add cin.get(); ... BOOM. AVG gets rid of the file, it becomes inaccessible and the whole thing is rendered useless. HMPHHH...I miss VS6
Last edited on
@Mooce ... i wish I could. Other than the default option, there isnt any other option in the drop bar "Apply the following Keyboard mapping scheme". And are you certain that even if I could, then that would solve my problem???

What Im not understanding is how comes no one has faced this problem, Ive tried googling for a solution but im turning blank everywhere I go. There was a thread somewhere that might have touched on a similar problem but it was being explained in a very complicated, non-novice, kind of way i didnt get any of it.
no, it won't solve the problem, just as a fellow VC 6 user, I thought you might prefer to keep the old keys.

AVG must have an option to exclude folders from it's scanning. Never used it so I'm afraid I can't help, but a folder exclusion list might be the kind of thing to look for.
Run from the command prompt.
Commands that you will need
cd change directory. cd .. will go to the parent directory
dir list the files in the current directory.

_ First you open a command prompt. cmd.exe or command.exe
_ Go to the directory where your program is. If you need to change the disk, just write it (by instance E:)
___ Use tab auto-complete when you can.
_ Make sure that the program is there.
_ Execute it, write the name of the program.

About AVG, kill it.
@me555, your cmd advice seems up-top and really the most positive step towards solving my prob. but like i said Im a complete noob in cmd so what may sound like broken-down instructions to you are a bit 'hard' for me. i just dont know the appropriate commands that will get me to the file. Ive keyed in everything and used auto complete as instructed but when i get to key in a certain folder called "c++ projects", the auto complete does not get it and I dont need to procedd to be able to tell that it wont work, but i proceeded nevertheless and guess what!? It didnt work.
AVG should have a setting for exclude directories, add the projects directory to the excludes. Also ctrl F5 does work in VS2010 to run without debugging and will cruel console open.
You can find the Exclusions part of AVG in the Settings. You can then Browse and navigate to the folder where all of your builds from VS10 are created and exclude the entire directory.

If AVG is detecting your builds as a virus/malware, once you exclude the directory it shouldn't take effect on it anymore. However, if it does still destroy the file, then that leaves another mysterious explanation for why the file is being deleted.

Let me know if I helped you at all, cheers.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.