passing pointers between objects?

I thought I could make my animation run faster by having drawing operations done in one objects and to eliminate get and set methods with using pointers. So I had:
datatypes.h:
struct pellet
{
     int the_type;
     float x, y, buf //buf is there so the size of both structs is the same
     unsigned long id;
}
struct explosion
{
     int the_type;
     float x, y, seq
     unsigned long id;
}
union objects_on_scr
{
     struct pellet p;
     struct explosion e;
} 

fireworks.cpp: Yea I have problems being consistent with names. whatever

#include "datatypes.h"
void fireworks::launch()
{
    struct pellet *a = (struct pellet*) malloc(sizeof(struct pellet));
    a.the_type=1;
    /* set pellet a data */
    drawer->pass_pellet_info(a);
}

sprite_handler.cpp:

#include "datatypes.h"
void sprite_handler::pass_pellet_info(struct pellet a)
{
      object_on_src b;
      b.p = a;
      objs.push_back(b)
}
void sprite_handler::paint(BITMAP* screen)
{
    for(int i0;i<objs.size();i++)
    {
         if(objs[i].p.the_type) legend: the_type=1: pellet the_type=0: explosion
         {
               paint_bitmap(screen, Firework, objs[i].p->x,objs[i].p->y) //this reads either
               //corrupt or unallocated memory or something. crazy values like 124321432
         }
         else
         {
               //paint explosion
         }
     }
}

if it matters in fireworks.h/.cpp and explosion.h/.cpp I was using a linked list but in sprite_handler I used vector. Inconsistent I know. How I tried to handle memory leaks was like this:

id is set with the system clock Pellet.id = clock();
before a node gets deleted in fireworks.cpp I call delete_object:
 void renew(struct pellet*& a)
{
     struct b = a;
     if //delete condition
     {
           drawer->delete_object(a->id);
           pop(a);
     }
}

in sprite_handler:
void sprite_handler::delete_object(unsigned long id)
{
     for(int i=0;i<objs.size();i++)
     {
          if(objs[i].p->id==id)
          {
              objs.erase(objs.begin()+i);
          }
     }
}

I tried to do all this initially with polymorphism (abstract base class) but the complexity got away from me so I went to something more familiar. I can retry.

full code can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4UPOuCR5uRGOVVSczJHMzRCRWM/edit

explosion translates to explosion_handler.

let me know via post or PM if something is confusing, or if I can make the question easier to understand or something.
Just a couple suggestions:
_ You are programming in c++, then use the c++ facilities. If you want a list of circles, simply do list<circle> a_list_of_circles; (reuse code that works)

_ The idea of methods is to use/modify the state of the object. If they aren't doing that, then they shouldn't be methods.

_ Don't use dynamic allocation unless necessary.
Bjarne Stroustrup wrote:
Code that creates an object using new and then deletes it at the end of the same scope is ugly, error-prone, and inefficient.

_ The constructor is invoked at the creation of the object. Use it to put your object in a valid state.
Last edited on
I rewrote it with a vector and only one object class and it works fine now. Thanks.

Would using an base abstract class help if you are dealing with different but similar classes? I made a game that had basically a bunch of bad guys with a bunch of weapons and the game was unstable. I used vectors. Sometimes it would work fine other times it would crash. The biggest problem I think was the collision detection class I wrote for it which made its own datatype and stored essential info on every on-screen object. I had to be careful how often I fired the shotgun weapon lest I crash the program.

I wouldn't bother running it on my old macbook with only 2Gs of RAM D:

I'm always on the look out for ways to conserve RAM. I personally think its always better to conserve memory even at the expense of processor usage (although the 2 aren't mutually exclusive)

Speed of course is important.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.