Get input from .txt

So me and my groupmates suddenly have some clutchwork at hand. I was assigned of making an import function that reads through a textfile that looks like this, and store it to a 2D array.
Like this
http://i.stack.imgur.com/abQ4a.png

The columns are Tab-separated however the difference from that image to mine is that i receive a 3x3 matrix with a blank space substituing one of the numbers and i was wondering how could i detect that blank space
there are a few options that you can use.

std::ifstream fin("input.txt");

std::string line;
std::getline(fin, line); reads to a new line

std::stringstream iss(line); // puts the line in a stream

std::getline(iss,cell,'\t'); // extracts a string which is tab delimited.

1) If you don't know the size of your data (3x3, 4x4, 5x3) then you want to either use dynamic memory (new/delete) or you want to use std::vector to store the data. Otherwise, if it's always 3x3 you are good with simply making an int[3][3] variable.
2) Whenever you read from the file, check the ifstream .good() function to ensure that you can continue reading from the file.
3) Use std::getline to delimit based on tabs. Use fin >> if you want to convert directly to a number if yoiu don't care about the white space and want to make it a number directly instead of astring first.
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{

std::ifstream fin("input.txt");

std::string line;
std::getline(fin, line); 

std::stringstream iss(line); // puts the line in a stream

std::getline(iss,3,'\t');

}

This gives me error :S
Nevertheless my .txt looks like this i.e

1 4 2
3 5
7 8 9

and i have to extract this to a 2d vector even the blank space and susbtitute it later by 0
To use a stringstream you have to #include <sstream> (I think that's its name). Also since you're already using namespace std; there's really no reason to put std:: before everything.
it still gives me an error
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <sstream>
using namespace std;

void main ()
{

ifstream fin("example.txt");

string line;

getline(fin, line); 

stringstream iss(line); // puts the line in a stream

getline(iss,3,'\t');

}
K, what error?

Edit: Why is your second parameter "3" in getline? the second parameter is the string that the chars will be stored in.
Last edited on
9 IntelliSense: no instance of overloaded function "getline" matches the argument list
argument types are: (std::stringstream, int, char) c:\Users\user\Desktop\ConsoleApplication4\ConsoleApplication4\Source1.cpp 18 1 ConsoleApplication4
In case you didn't notice it, read my edit. That's your problem.
ok it works now but my matrix is separated by setw(5). is there any way to solve this?Its because im not using tab
What do you mean by 'your matrix is seperated by setw(5)' ?

http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/96804/#msg520036
Like i have this in a txt

1 5 6
7 8
2 3 4

And all the elements are separeted by setw(5). What i really wanted was to get the values and get a 2d vector out of it subsituting the blank space for a zero in the vector
Then use getc(FILE*). Your file has 3 lines and 3 cols; why are you using a 2d vector?

Use this get for c++
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/istream/istream/get/
Last edited on
Thats because my game only accepts 2d vectors as a gameboard.
But how an i get getc to get those numbers and spaces and turn them i a 2d vector?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.