• Forum
  • Jobs
  • Lots of game programming roles for at Ri

Lots of game programming roles for at Riot games C++ / java etc...

Pages: 12
If you have a passion for games then you may consider working at Riot in LA. Here are the current positions available which cover a broad range of experience levels.

Generalist Programmer (Multiple openings)
- Software Engineer (Multiple openings)
- Java Engineer (Multiple openings)
- Flash Developer
- Senior Air/Flex Developer
- Lead Software Engineer-Game
- Technical Director

Programming: Entry level and Internship positions
- Associate Java Engineer (Multiple openings)
- Associate Flex/UI Developer
- Associate C++ Programmer (Multiple openings)
- Associate Flash Developer
- Build Intern

A few of these positions don't require C++ however C++ knowledge is a plus in all of them.

You will need to be able to relocate to LA. For non-entry level positions Riot can/may help with relocation expenses and Visas.

Great Benefits
- Medical, dental, and vision
- Life, LtD and AD&D coverage
- Employee assistance program
- Paid vacation, sick days, and holidays

Perks
- LAN game battles
- Weekly lunches
- Fun outings
- Ninja Nerf gun battles
- Full expense trips to the bathroom <-- I use this all the time
- Stock advice
- A challenging and exciting work place that thrives on perfection.
- Competitive Salaries

Please see the full descriptions and how to apply on our website (www.riotgames.com/careers)

If you don't have game programming experience you can still apply (particularly for the Java, Flash and Air/Flex areas). Experience and similarity of your experience to game development will be considered in our review process.

PS: I'm one of the engineers working at Riot (aka Hohums) not a recruiter or HR person. I'm passing this on because Riot is currently under heavy growth. Riot needs more engineers to help us continually improve the "League of Legends" (www.leagueoflegends.com) game.

Recently we hit 1 million users for our game and our growth is only accelerating. The game has won a ton of awards including many best game of 2009 awards. If you know someone who isn't a programmer who is interested we also have a lot of other positions available. Check that out at www.riotgames.com/careers.

The team: We already have a mid sized team made up 80% from seasoned game programmers. Its a fun place to work. No-business suits required. However you may be nominated to wear a nerf gun armor suits on occasions :p

Personally I'd like to see some hardcore C++ programmers apply for this... it would spice up the interviews a bit.

Edit: I'd be interested in hearing constructive feedback on this positing. If you are in the job market, what are your primary concerns about applying for this job (location, I'd have to move, etc...)? Potentially I can help answer some of these and also improve Riots job postings going forward.
Last edited on
sir... how bout a noob programmer? i know a lil c++... but im a fast learner sir... if you may allow me to apply... by the way im from PH
Don't reply in this section because I'm sure that OP doesn't have time to browse these forums and wait for replies.
Anyway, go to www.riotgames.com and try to contact them.
Well the associate positions we have are for entry level positions (such as one doing an internship or just coming out of university). Game programming is said to be one of the most difficult sorts of programing there is. Therefore we look for people who show signs of programming talent. Normally I find these sorts of people have worked on all sorts of other programming projects in addition to getting a computer education.

So if that's you feel free to apply for one of those positions or even have a chat to us at our booth at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.
well as of now sir i am taking IT education @ one of the prominent jesuit school here in the philippines... but as of now im still worthless.. but maybe sooner ill surpass yah skills.
Oh wow, Hey Hohums!
Unexpected to see you here... Not sure if you remember, but I asked you about how you got into game development and what language you would suggest a newbie learning.

You said C++ and well, here I am, taking up the awesome challenge of doing it with text books and any free online sources!

Hope you get some good people!
I would love to work at Riot a few years down the road when I actually have stuff to show off! You guys are right down the street from me..
Last edited on
Well you guys are on the right track :P
Just letting you people know that we still have many of the listed positions still available.
sir hohums... reading c++ books would be the best??? what book would yah suggest for me sir?
I like these books... which will put you in the right direction to surpassing me :p They are targeted at medium to advanced programmers.

"C++ Coding Standards: 101 Rules, Guidelines, and Best Practices"
http://www.amazon.com/Coding-Standards-Rules-Guidelines-Practices/dp/0321113586 (In fact most of the indepth series are good)

"Effective C++"
http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Specific-Improve-Programs-Designs/dp/0321334876/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

"Imperfect C++"
http://www.amazon.com/Imperfect-Practical-Solutions-Real-Life-Programming/dp/0321228774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271480346&sr=1-1
Although Matthew released a newer one which I haven't read but its meant to be better.
http://www.amazon.com/Extended-STL-1-Collections-Iterators/dp/0321305507/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271480346&sr=1-2

That's C++ specific. If you want to be a games programmer reading any of the Gem Series (Graphics, Game, Engine) is a good start.

(Yes we still have many positions available)
Last edited on
closed account (y8h7M4Gy)
Hello,

Do you use the SDL library?
Edward we do use the STL library which I assume your referring too.

If your referring too: http://www.libsdl.org/ then no. We use directX and a number of other libraries.

Also STL is only used in the game code which is C++. We use a lot of other languages for other systems like our java platform systems etc..
Last edited on
closed account (y8h7M4Gy)
ok i meant SDL because i use linux and i just want someone to work with that uses it, no payments involved, just need a partner :)
tell me if you need me
Fantastic description hohums ;)

I'd have a go at flash had i not been physically impaired.. hehe.

I wish you the best of luck thoguh :)
Can people stop posting crap in this forum, please? This forum is for people seeking jobs or people advertising jobs. Paying jobs. It is not a social network. We have a Lounge forum for that.

I'm sure Hohums and others don't have time to sift through all these irrelevant posts as Null has already said. If someone actually posted here to apply for a job (as in, someone living close enough to Los Angeles in California in the USA to get to work every day, presumably at 9am (which rules out the Phillipines as it has the slight disadvantage of being 8000 miles away)); Hohums wouldn't see it if you posted a hundred odd lines of uncommented, unindented illegible code without even saying why or what it does.

Bottom line is, stop posting irrelevant crap in this thread. If you really must (this is mostly @edward and "god"), PM him. Then at least he as the option of ignoring you.
I don't mind job-related questions since that's on topic however I've no idea why someone would post a block of code in this thread.

BTW: I'd be interested in hearing constructive feedback on this positing. If you are in the job market, what are your primary concerns about applying for this job (location, I'd have to move, etc...)? Potentially I can help answer some of these and also improve Riots job postings going forward.
Last edited on
Hi Hohums,
I'm an experienced software developer with university degree, I worked on backoffice softwares and with databases but absolutely unexperienced in game programming. If I lived in the USA I would apply to one of the entry level positions, but since I live in Europe (not native english) I guess my application is out of the question. Only posting because you asked for feedback :) My concern about applying is location.

Still, if there is any opportunity to work for you online, let me know please, I'd love to move to the game programming area.
Thanks for your feedback Miralla, this is good information for us. Note that skill wise it sounds like you'd meet the criteria for as a associate platform engineer. They do lots of work with databases etc... and typically we don't require game engine experience for those guys (although it is a plus).

However unfortunately we don't normally fly out candidates for the associate level positions from overseas. However we have flown out engineers for the more experienced positions in the past. That is very dependent of course on how they do in a phone interview etc.... (Note I'm one of them since my home country is Australia.) So potentially you could try in a few more years.

Thanks for your reply !
I'm currently in college and doing learning C++. I am also taking classes for J2EE which might help some. I would be glad to do an internship at Riot games. Only thing is I will have to work over the internet since I am located in Brazil. But if you are interested please send me an e-mail at leandro030821@gmail.com.
Pages: 12