Enemies

Pages: 1234
closed account (N36fSL3A)
Decided I wouldn't do the animation class, Heh. While this thread isn't dead how would you make a map manager. I have an idea but I'm looking for better ways
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Map manager could mean a variety of things depending on how you want the maps to function. Any more details ?
Last edited on
Fredbill30 wrote:
*mainly pointing at BHX because he's programming an RPG right now.

I am making an RPG a part at a time. I've not even gotten around to doing animation or enemies, I have been messing with combat systems, tile maps, inventory, and camera systems. Also I'm experimenting with an RPG so I am not the best one to ask about this matter.
Oh. What battle system?
The easiest one, IMO, turn based.
What about an Action Battle System?
The only action battle system I know of is RPG Maker and I'm not quite sure which battle system they are using as I've never looked into it.

I normally look at this:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_System
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turns,_rounds_and_time-keeping_systems_in_games

Like you don't go to a battle screen

You just see someone and you can fight them.
That's called "Real Time Strategy".
Yeah, when making an RPG I don't see the advantage of letting the player see and avoid enemies (Lunar does this and I got in the habit of running past them and trying to zip through the levels to get to the boss). I think having random battles that are either turn based or something like active time battle from the Final Fantasy games.
LB it isn't an RTS.

You're getting confused.

Well good point. But I was not going to make it so you run past, more like a horror game or or a game that requires combat.

Trust me once I'm done drawing and get a good demo out it'll most likely have a completely different feel than traditional RPGs, that's if I don't change my mind.
No, LB is right. The description you gave of seeing them and being able to fight them with no load or fading to a fight screen is how RTS are done. In RPGs they either fade into a battle or bring up still image of the enemy.

Having it so you can see every enemy and fight them would mean you have to enough enemies in every level/map to fight to make sure the player levels enough to take on the boss for the level. This will lead to hampering your game as you will have to limit enemies per level, drop boss fights lower to make them beatable, etc.

Turn based is where each person gets a turn (player and enemy) based on a stat (usually speed or such). Active Turn Based is where the players and enemies have a timer set and once it hits its set limit they can attack (kind of a first come first serve thing) usually represented by a animated bar showing progress until the players can attack again. I may have those wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me for it.

Also, the reason LB said RTS is because if you look at Starcraft, it does what you are referring to. All units are visible, you can attack them at will, etc. The only RPG I can think of off hand that lets you see the enemy (sort of) is Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and they only let you see the enemies in dungeons, but once you collide with them it takes you into a regular RPG battle sequence where your party is fighting the monsters.
Last edited on by closed account z6A9GNh0
Where would Zelda fall under, then? It sounds like you are implying Zelda is an RTS because there is no load or fading into a fight screen.
closed account (3qX21hU5)
Look at all MMORPG's BHX... Like WoW, EverQuest, LOTRO, ect. Would they be RTS?

Not all RPG's have turn based combat systems. What about Devil May Cry series? More of a action rpg. Even Final Fantasy made a non turn based RPG (I believe it was 12 or 13?) where you just wander around fighting enemies as you see them without loading a turn based fight.

RTS and RPG are to very different genre's though they have been combined a few times.
The Zelda series has almost exclusively been RTS.
Zelda was classified as an action-adventure last I knew. Devil May Cry was classified as an action and hack and slash. MMORPG is an all encompassing term, while the games break down into several categories, but I've seen a few devs from those RPGs say they have elements from RTSs so how do we know those combat systems weren't influenced by how RTS combat systems were done? After all, they never really tell us where their influences come from when they do those kind of things :P.
RTS refers to a computer playing out your strategy in "real time", however that happens to be defined for the game in question.

Zelda is definitely not a real time strategy game. You could lop the 'S' off. It is certainly real-time as opposed to turn-based.
closed account (o1vk4iN6)
Yah not sure who thought Zelda was a RTS, the whole point of an RTS is to have some sort of strategy which usually involves playing against actual people. None of the Zelda games fit that bill. Not sure I can even think of a RTS game that doesn't have a pvp multiplayer mode in it. Hell even starcraft 1 which came out in 1998 had an online multiplayer component.
Last edited on
Yea I was thinking about making an RTS AFTER the RPG, since the code would be mostly reusable. The battle system I was getting at is a Real Time game, similar to the BS from Skyrim and Fallout and such.
Problem is that according to Bethesda, both those use a system based off RTS combat systems.
Pages: 1234